Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

speeder
Elite

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

You are wrong.

It pulls 80W from the 12V pins, that have limit of 5.5A, that would be 66W if there is no voltage drop, but excessive current raises resistance of the copper, and causes voltage drop, Brazillian reviewer that actually measured amperage (because he mostly review PSUs, and was asked by a PSU company to review their rebadged RX 480) saw that on their high quality overclocker mobo it was dropping to 11.4V and drawing 90W when running Unigine on 100% stock settings, this translates to 7.8A, way above 5.5A... and sufficient to melt PCI-e pins of cheaper mobos (that probably have a even bigger vdrop, thus evne higher amperage).

c4rl0s123
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Oh please. My r9 295x2 consumes much more out of the PCIE slot and I've never had it die on me.

500 watts out of 2x 8 pin and PCIE slot.

I noticed that everyone on here replying with the same issue has a crappy motherboard.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

Jump to solution

an ASRock 970 Extreme4 is not a cheap motherboard, and the msi 990fxa is one of the best you can get for that platform.

brucer
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Are you sure the extra power isnt coming from the 2x8 pin connectors on that 295x2, thats usually where the extra power comes from..

Theres something fishy going on somewhere.. Especially since multiple people are already reporting dead pcie slots after a recent install of the rx480..

speeder
Elite

Jump to solution

You are conflating total power draw with PCI-e slot draw.

Yoru 295x2 probably pulls 75W from the slot, and the reaming watts from the 2x8 pin cable.

Mind you, 2x8 is out of spec too, the thing is, you bought a high-end ludicrously expensive card, it is expected you will have good motherboard and good PSU.

AMD was trying to sell 480 as "VR" and "Premium Gaming" to the "masses", the thing is: "masses", specially on third world countries, will have crappy mobos, and crappy PSUs, that frequently don't meet specs either, and when they actually DO meet specs, they meet by the bare mininum (for example a motherboard that they tested if it will work with 75W out of the PCI-e slot, but will promptly get damaged if you use 80W).

Saying to someone that bought a 480 that the solution is "buy new mobo and PSU", might be even offensive to some people, some people probably bought the 480 as the most high-end stuff they can afford on their country, with something like the 295x2 (and mobos and PSUs good enough for it) being things only millionaire-level people can afford.

As anecdote, I am from Brazil, currently I am classified by the government as "rich" because I am in the top5% of the population in income.

I bought a 380X last month, because it was what I could afford, and my computer with 380X is faster than any other brazillian I know personally, I never saw a 390 in person, except in locked glasses in some rich-people stores, and never saw a Fury (of any kind) even on rich-people stores. (and the 380X I had to smuggle in the country too... I didn't foudn one in stores either).

speeder
Elite

Jump to solution

From his point of view it is.

I own a Z97 Extreme4, really great mobo. But while researching what mobo to buy, I found it is considered the "budget" ASRock mobo for OC and Gamers, people that go around using 295x2, Fury, whatnot, would instead own a Extreme9, or a "OC Formula" mobo (for ASrock).

looncraz
Adept II

Jump to solution

The R9 295x2 only pulls some 30W from the PCI-e slot... if that.

Power Consumption: Drawing Some Conclusions - Radeon R9 295X2 8 GB Review: Project Hydra Gets Liquid...

"In the past, we noticed graphics cards getting less power from the motherboard. AMD's Radeon R9 295X2 exemplifies this by maxing out at that very conservative 28 W figure."

speeder
Elite

Jump to solution

He asked before the issue really blew up, so he either is a extremely well informed troll, or a person that had a genuine problem and had to ask about it looking for help.

If it is the second case, he probably didn't though of making a picture then, and doesn't have time to make one for a while.

And I am defending OP because I am finding this really tiring, I bought my first AMD GPU recently (a 380X) and I am having lots of problems, and people instead of helping keep telling that I am a nVidia troll/shill.

This behaviour is just making me want that I was an actual nVidia shill, I decided in good faith believe in AMD, got a crappy card, and people keep downvoting, banning (I got banned for a while from /r/AMD discord after asking about my problems), and insulting me (got people tell me that it is not their problem that I live in Brazil <censored in the forums here>, and that I should move to some civilized place instead of complaining that I bought a card that might need RMA in my <censored in the forums here> country... or telling me that is not their problem that I am poor and can't afford better card or paid tech support) instead of helping.

Seriously, I am disappointed with AMD, as company, that made such crappy products, and with the AMD community, that is one of the most hostile ones I ever saw.

And disappointed with the involved companies support. (Sapphire just kept telling me to RMA and refused to help, many times they didn't even replied my tickets, AMD support never replied, AMD driver team never even acknowledge they received my bug reports).

roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

As many requested, I've updated the original post with some pictures. They are here as well. Note the error code d6 which means that VGA is not detected.

20160701_144201.jpg20160701_144937.jpg

roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

Check original post for pics.

0 Kudos