Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

I assume your box has at least a few fans to removed excess heat.

0 Kudos
cowtown62
Adept III

Jump to solution

did cleaning the slot fix the issue? I just noticed you have a CX psu. those have been shown to not perform correctly when over 30C and judging by the fans in your case and you overclocking a reference card is it possible the psu fried the slot without frying the card?

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

I have noticed the low-end CX series power supplies are not the greatest. The more recent CS ones are much better.

0 Kudos
roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

Cleaning the slot did not fix the issue. The slot is definitely dead. The card was always fine, it still works and I'm running strong in slot 2. No issues at all and I've had several long gaming sessions. I've got a nice stable overclock at 1349MHz (turbo frequency) and temperatures are looking good at 78-82 full load on the GPU.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Have you benchmarked your card running in the second slot and compared to other benchmarks?

0 Kudos
roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
semitope
Adept II

Jump to solution

Probably should have cleaned it before putting in that GPU. Too late to do that now. It can burn up probably if some contacts have too much resistance. I guess I wasn't too paranoid when I covered my slots with electrical tape when I would be GPU-less for a long time.

brucer
Forerunner

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Did you install it with the furnished drivers or use the latest drivers?

0 Kudos
smash4686
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi guys I'm not a nerd. I bought a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro. Haven't overclocked it or touched it at all but it worked at first for a few days but would only work while my HD6570 was in slot 2. Once I took that out it the 480 would disappear too from device manager. Weird. Anyway clean installed Windows 10 with the 480 and its not even detected. Looked around found this and sound like my symptoms. I see no scaring around the slot at all and why should I? Thing was only running for a few days and I haven't stressed it yet. So I also moved mine to slot 2 and it is currently working. I'll test my R9 280x in slot 1 and see if that still works. My question is what legal right as a customer do i have if an AMD card killed my Gigabyte mobo?

CPU i5 3570k

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

AMD Sapphire RX 480

232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

698GB Crucial_CT750MX300SSD1 (SSD)

0 Kudos