Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pimpster
Journeyman III

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

20160701_170353.jpgMy 750ti has a 6 pin connector, so it's getting it's juice from the PSU. The 750ti was running in there for over a year with no problems. Only after putting in the RX 480 did the slot die. Here's a pic of the 750ti: this is different than the pictures you showed the first time and the motherboard is different to, pcie slots in the first one is blue and this one black ?

0 Kudos
spriggan43
Adept I

Jump to solution

So what is the out come? did you reach out to AMD and your mother board maker, too see if anyone will take ownership of the dead slot?

Can you please supply windows system logs of the crash as a start as proof that maybe the card did kill the board?

0 Kudos
spriggan43
Adept I

Jump to solution

Kicking your computer is the next step in the trouble shooting process, right after abusive swearing.

roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

Yes, it is a different motherboard. That is my wife's computer. I put the 750ti in there after I got my RX 480. That picture was just to show the 750ti and the 6 pin connector.

0 Kudos
roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

I haven't reached out to anyone. As I had stated from the start, I was not looking for anyone to compensate me or replace anything. I'm perfectly content running in slot 2.

The event viewer simply shows a critical Kernel-Power Event ID 41:

BugcheckCode0
BugcheckParameter10x0
BugcheckParameter20x0
BugcheckParameter30x0
BugcheckParameter40x0
SleepInProgress0
PowerButtonTimestamp0

An update, though:

Yesterday I had an 8 hour gaming session after installing the new drivers with the power fix (I did turn on the new comparability mode) and nothing blew up! So that's a good sign! This was with the very same +83MHz overclock on the core clock (nothing on the memory and no voltage or power target adjustments).

0 Kudos
dankennard
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I was absolutely loving the RX 480 until it started smoking spontaneously and then died on me. Thankfully the PCI-E slot wasn't damaged so I was able to stick my old GTX 760 back in and I was up and running again. Can't help but be really disappointed though as up to this evening I was loving it (60fps on Doom maxed out with Vulkan).

I didn't overclock it or tamper with the cooler and I've a a Fractal Tesla 650w PSU so I highly doubt that had anything to do with it 😕

0 Kudos
roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

Did you not update the drivers to the new 16.7.2? They fixed the overdrawing issue in that driver (especially if you turn on compatability mode, which I did).

0 Kudos
spriggan43
Adept I

Jump to solution

So Dan,

Do you have photo of this dead rx480, can we see some photos of the back of the card?

0 Kudos
dankennard
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Yes, I did update to the latest driver release but I didn't turn compatibility mode on. I assumed that as I had a half decent MB and PSU and I had no intentions of overclocking I'd be OK to not enable compatibility mode. To be fair, the fault may not be related to the power draw issue and may be related to my particular card - I was loving the performance boost over my GTX 760 and needed a bit of a vent

0 Kudos
dankennard
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Yeah, sure.

There's nothing on the back of the card showing any damage but the smoke and burning smell was most prominent near the HDMI port so I tried to take a photo of the board through the vent. This is the best I could do as I don't want to undo any screws as I've an RMA sorted with OCUK:

http://imgur.com/D9D8Riy

Disclaimer: I'm a programmer, not an electronics expert, but it looks pretty scorched to me.

My first reaction was to go for a GTX1070/80 but before I'm accused of being exclusive to team green, I cooled down a bit, remembered the price/performance ratio, DX12, Vulkan and async compute advantages, and decided to replace it with 2 x Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ (I'm a firm believer that multi GPU is the future).

I'm a self employed software developer and I'd just started work on a Vive project and to be honest, when I couldn't work on that and had to drop back to < 30fps on Doom with my GTX 760 I needed a bit of a vent - hence my post. As I mentioned to roquen22​, it is probably just my individual card.

0 Kudos