Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

xboxshqip
Elite

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

Can you post a picture of your mobo?

This can not be possible had the motherboard been damaged from an over power draw. The system would have shut down... like pulling the plug... and refused to power on at all (no fans... nothing).

Because the PCIe slots are all powered by the same source... the motherboards power delivery. These are not separate sources for each PCIe slot. This same source powers everything in your PC... (Fans lights CPU RAM etc).

0 Likes
jonathan_link
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

AMD RX 480 violou o padrão PCI Express (so what!) - YouTube    here is the video that shows where AMD violated PCI EXPRESS !

0 Likes
speeder
Elite

Jump to solution

I own an 380X, and it throttles a lot, when I complain people tell me to raise Power Limit and link me to this post: AMD graphics performance

Funny now how this post might increase mobo deaths no?

Now people can see my original point: AMD should make their cards work out of the box correctly without people ever having to meddle with power settings.

speeder
Elite

Jump to solution

You are wrong.

When PCPer asked a mobo maker about the RX 480 issue, the mobo maker replied the RX 480 likely will damage the PCI-E slot pins.

So the issue the OP described is perfectly possible.

blazek
Miniboss

Jump to solution

My cynical self is telling me people are just taking advantage of the latest news and saying stuff like this to get free stuff

Remember when people were saying the new Crimson driver was frying their video cards?

simby
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Can you please provide a photo of your GPU and mobo and any additional proof you actually own the GPU and that slot is indeed not working?

xboxshqip
Elite

Jump to solution

But where is the factual evidence, you telling me thee guy has not got a cellphone to take some pictures?

0 Likes
speeder
Elite

Jump to solution
0 Likes
eroticus
Adept I

Jump to solution

PCI-E.jpg

Can you really prove some pictures ? videos ?

PCIe 3.0 isn't 225/300W ?

0 Likes
looncraz
Adept II

Jump to solution

When we have a PCI-e over-current issue the slot is usually the weakest link.  The board traces are generally very robust.

0 Likes