Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

calken
Adept I
Adept I

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

Without me going through all the posts, would a GFX card that was not seated properly cause arcing at the pin sufficient enough to cause thermal failure?

0 Kudos
gh0st47
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I will just leave this here....
Whether is true or not...well we will know on Tuesday.
AMD did claimed that it is drawing more than 75W that's a fact !
But can it actually kill your PCIE slot ??

Polaris RX 480 - Power Problems or PCI Exaggeration? - YouTube

0 Kudos
gh0st47
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Are you even fking serious here @@
Last I check, there's more Trolls from NVIDIA Camp than the Red Army who fought for Mother Russia back in WWII......literally not the Users of NVIDIA cards, but just the Trolls from NVIDIA may actually win WW III if there's one just by charging head on being a meat shield for their other comrades...
Literally almost anything that's have to do with AMD whether is a Good News or Bad News. There definitely a NVIDIA troll lurking around....
Honestly If I get 1 Dollar for every NVIDIA Troll posting on the Internet I may actually be richer than Bill Gate himself....

We can't handle the loved company did wrong ? Well least we aren't suckers who just brush away the fact that NVIDIA released a 3.5GB card yet being charged full price for it's scandal. What about the misleading
" O the GTX 1080 only runs at 60C ++ on our " Premium " Reference Card which you have to pay 100$ Extra and it's actually the exact same frigging price as an Aftermarket card which cools and OC better because you all are just bunch of suckers ! "

At least AMD admitted that is their fault and it's a design flaw and they are working on it.
It's a FACT that it draws more than 75W ( which many other cards does anyways to begin with long ago ) but can it really fry the PCIE slot ?

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

You have caused your own problem, sorry to say.  You overclocked a reference card WAAAAYYYY too high in a case that has almost NO COOLING.  That's like buying a car and then blowing the engine up by adding an aftermarket turbo, and then expecting warranty to cover it.

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I have an XFX RX480 8gb that comes factory overclocked to 1288.  I have been using it for 8+ hrs a day since launch day on a Gigabyte ga78lmt-usb3 $50 Mobo with a 760 chipset and a 500w power supply. I have had ZERO problems with it.  Why?  Because my case has plenty of airflow and its a clean mobo.   

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

False.  I am running quite well on a 500w power supply.  As a matter of fact, James at TweakTown ran 2 RX480s in Crossfire and his entire system (Cpu, fans, hdd etc) only drew 440w.

brucer
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

I think some of these cards were produced with inferior parts, and those parts failed to do their job..

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Running a PSU near max capacity is likely to see it fail fast.

A PSU is much more efficient at 40-50% load

0 Kudos
eveluso
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

And only use your fans at 50%, and only turn your oven to 50% max temp, and only drive your speakers to 50% max volume. So hardcore this guy. Aside from the efficiency thing you're really wrong, but if you're speaking of reduced lifetime for being still under the rated wattage I suspect you think the RX 480 is safe for the PCIE-Slot.

0 Kudos
notadishonestpos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Liars, the lot of you. Sickening really.

0 Kudos