cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

david34441
Journeyman III

PC freeze mid-game

Hey everyone! So, I recently built myself my first ever PC. MOBO B550M AORUS ELITE, CPU R5 3600, GPU RX 6700 XT, RAM 2x8 3200 mhz, 700w 88% bronze psu. I've been having PC freezes mid-game CONSTANTLY almost every single game and it only happens in Dota2. My PC will completely freeze, I can't alt-tab, I can't ctrl+alt+del, but I can still hear my friends talking in Discord. They can't hear me since my PC is frozen so it's very weird. I have no option but to force restart every time. All my parts are brand new. I've tried multiple times to re-install the driver to the newest version, AND I've tried an older version 22.11.1 but it didn't fix the freezes. I've tried re-installing windows a bunch of times. My other games runs fine, TimeSpy runs fine, temps are sub 50 degrees ever when gaming both the CPU and the GPU I have great air flow. Anyone else having similar issues? Any idea as to why this freeze is happening when I'm playing Dota2? And how can I fix it? 

0 Likes
15 Replies
t3chl0rd
Adept III

I been having that problem just figured out might be ULPS saw its being enabled even though my card doesn't support it.  Graphics card crashing and recovering in my Eventlog but display freezes can still hear audios and cpu (fans) going up and down. But I been having it system wide....

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\ 

search for ULPS - EnableUlps (1) enabled (0) disabled.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes
david34441
Journeyman III

Hi, in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\ I can see only 1 folders, one of them is {1388C9B0-DE40-11ED-BAE5-9FF2A4F4677E}, and the other one is {DEB039CC-B704-4F53-B43E-9DD4432FA2E9}. I can't seem to find the "ULPS" you were talking about, can you help me?

0 Likes

Use the find feature CTRL+F then search for EnableUlps until you find in the KEY in the section I posted above the exact key will be different for everyone. it should be something like this..

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{3824F1B9-D5BD-11ED-92FD-806E6F6E6963}\0000

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes
david34441
Journeyman III

Sorry, I meant 2 folders

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you update bios?

0 Likes
david34441
Journeyman III

Yes, I'm on a B550M Aorus Elite and I updated the BIOS. I found the DisableUlps and set it to 0, tried running Dota2, still laggy and buggy in the main screen, switched to Vulkan, lag dissapeared, played 1 game no crashes so far but I have to keep testing to see if the issue is resolved.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

try to disable xmp or change profile.

unstable xmp did cause dota 2 and other games to crash and installing new bios version did fix it for me.

I did see discussion on this site about some problem with ryzen 3000 and b550 bios.

0 Likes
johnwood
Journeyman III

Based on the information provided, it seems like the issue is specific to Dota2 and not related to hardware, since other games are running fine and you have good temperatures. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify the integrity of the game files: Go to the game properties in Steam and select "Verify integrity of game files". This will check if any of the game files are corrupted or missing and will download them if necessary.

2. Update your BIOS: Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website and download the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Follow the instructions carefully to update your BIOS.

3. Disable any overclocks: If you have overclocked your CPU, GPU, or RAM, try disabling the overclocks and run the game at stock speeds.

4. Update Windows: Make sure you have the latest Windows updates installed. These updates may contain fixes for known issues with the operating system.

5. Check for conflicting software: Some software programs can interfere with games and cause freezes. Try disabling any background programs or services that you don't need while playing the game.

6. Check for overheating: Although you mentioned that temperatures are sub 50 degrees, try monitoring your temperatures while playing the game. You can use programs like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor to check your temperatures. If your temperatures are too high, try increasing your fan speeds or adjusting your cooling solution.

7. Contact the game developer or support team: If none of the above steps help, try contacting the game developer or their support team. They may have more specific troubleshooting steps for this game.

Hopefully, one of these steps helps resolve the issue. Good luck!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

full pc freeze did happen during dota 2 match and this is first time.

Last 6 months I did not have any problem like this one.

Only change is new cpu and sam enabled and I played around 20 games without problem. Dota 2 is very smooth now with new cpu.

Yesterday I did unlimit fps.

Company of heroes 3 have similar problem with full pc freez and it will happen once after around 20 games and I did contact game developers and they did confirm existence of problem and they work on fix.

My report about same problem but in company of heroes 3

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/company-of-heroes-3-system-freez/m-p/598985#M173118

5800x3d---6700xt---b450---4x8gb ram---850w psu.

no cpu and gpu overclock but xmp is on and ram set to 3200mhz and I have latest drivers and agesa v1.2.0.7

Dota 2 did work with rx6700xt and ryzen 2700x and xmp on set to 3200mhz without problem for 6 months.

0 Likes
sajjadcool
Journeyman III

Bro did you ever find a fix I'm facing driver timeout game freeze alot I mean alot can't even play Dota 2 I don't I that it in start but now in ever game freeze or driver timeout 

My specs are 

Ryzen 5 3600

Rx 5600xt gaming pc

B550 arous pro ac 

Txm Corsair 750watt gold PSU 

16 GB ram 3600mega Corsair vengeance pro 

I have like crash in every game 

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

I've had a similar issue before... downgrade of audiodriver fixed the issue .. maybe a upgraden will help as well

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think game updates did fix problem.

0 Likes
xAHMEDx
Adept I

This is a general problem, not just you. Most people suffer from this problem, especially with rx580/rx570 cards. I am one of them, hoping that the company will fix this problem
Also, you have another problem, which is that when you turn on the device, there is no response on the screen
Is this correct ?
The problem is with the amd driver, uninstall it
And let Windows install it and you will not see this problem temporarily

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

I have the exact problem.

use VULKAN seems fix it. (DX11 maybe broke).

or I try 22.11.2 with DX11 also good (but yours still freeze).

The crash is rarely random after play dota for 3-5 hours.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes