cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

xRedible
Adept I

PC Died After Driver Update - AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB (Gigabyte)

Dear AMD Community,

I'm having a BIG problem. Less than 2 days ago I updated my AMD Adrenaline Software and my screen went complete black while installation. My PC eventually crashed (I didn't turn it off, I was waiting for my screen to light back up) and I'm getting a black screen the whole time since then. I can't get into BIOS or anything else, it's all just black. I've tried different cables and monitors but it's still the same. Today I bought a new motherboard and power supply but it didn't fix the problem. What can I do in this situation? If my graphics card got fried because of that update, is AMD going to do something about it or do I have to pay for a new one out of my pocket?

Best regards,

xRedible

0 Likes
20 Replies

The only way AMD will do something is if you purchased the GPU card directly from AMD Store and it is still under warranty. but if this is a 3rd party AMD GPU Card then you need to open a Warranty ticket if it is still under warranty with the GPU Manufacturer.

If not try install the GPU card in another computer and see if the same thing occurs or take the GPU to your local Computer shop and see if they can test the GPU card on one of their systems.

If the GPU card is defective you should get some sort of Motherboard Trouble LED for VGA lit up. IF you motherboard doesn't have those Trouble LED lights then you will need to install a Case Speaker to hear the sequence of the beeps to determine if the VGA is passing BIOS test at POST.

If not see if your Motherboard generates any Trouble Digital Codes you can use to figure out what is going on.

You can always, temporarily borrow another GPU card and see if your get video Output during POST and are able to enter BIOS.

Please post your computer information and Make & Model of your GPU,  CPU and Motherboard. Plus Windows and AMD Driver version installed.

Hello.

My PC definitely doesn’t have warranty anymore, it’s been working flawlessly for the past 2 years. My motherboards lights up every LED in order and is stuck only at BOOT LED at the end. I don’t seem to see any kind of life on the monitor. I will definitely try and test out with another GPU to see if I’ll be able to log into Windows, if I manage to do that, I’ll uninstall the drivers and try again with my GPU.

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 2600

Old Motherboard - MSI A320M-A PRO

New Motherboard - MSI B550-A PRO

Old Power Supply - I don’t exactly which one but it’s by XILENCE
New Power Supply - 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

RAM is by Crucial

Windows 10 Pro

I installed the latest AMD Adrenalin Software when the problem happened.

The RAM is half a year old and the motherboard and power supply are brand new. CPU and GPU are 2 years old. Thermal paste has been changed recently, the CPU doesn’t look burned out, I don’t know if it’s possible that it burns from the inside though. Everything in the PC is also spinning.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

xRedible

0 Likes

@xRedibleAm I understand it right - you replaced thermal interface of GPU.

It is somewhat tricky so I do not recommend to do this. Because of non standard thermal pads and ofc because you can damage silicon by installing radiator with skew by screwing too much.

@Qanatoz, no, no. I meant only the CPU, I haven’t touched anything of the GPU. I bought the new motherboard and power supply after the problem occurred because I thought the problem may be one of both.

0 Likes

@xRedible  You may need some GPU for testing.

Before looking for another GPU try to eject all unnecessary hardware, hdd, odd etc (all memory except one module). Eject motherboard battery(unplug power cord before doing everything!), reset BIOS settings (read manual).

Check pins at your mobo for closure, it can happen if you accidentally bent some pin. Check if your motherboard bent at CPU mounting spot after thermal interface changing then check CPU pins.

Place GPU in different PCI-E slot that circuited from chipset.

If your GPU have dualbios button, try to change it(I used Sapphire rx580 with dual bios).

Last one I hate Gygabyte GPU's they burn cooling system every time. Used case coolers mounted at radiator too cool them. It may be that I just unlucky but it was Never happened with Sapphire.

0 Likes

@Qanatoz, thank you for replying so fast. Everything you’ve written, I have tried. Nothing seemed to work. My last hope is that my drivers are just faulty or my CPU has burned out and not my GPU because I have no idea where I’m going to get the same one because of the current market. I’ll keep you updated when I try with another GPU.

0 Likes

@xRedibleI just replaced my old RX580 with RX6500 XT. With some restrictions for texture settings (limited vram). It work's just fine, but in your case CPU limited to PCI-E 3.0/2.0 so it may be more crucial.

It cost nothing in comparison to GPU's that can mine crypto.

PS. As @elstaci  said boot LED means failing to boot from your HDD/SSD. Try to eject it and use USB stick with Linux or Windows installed.

@Qanatoz, yes the LED labeled BOOT is just white the whole time. My keyboard and mouse keep connecting and disconnecting but I can't get into the BIOS as well. Should I flash the USB with Windows on it? After I put it in the PC what should I do? I can't access the boot menu or the BIOS.

@xRedible  It will boot from usb drive. No need to do anything.

@Qanatoz, okay, I'll flash Windows 10 on it and I hope so much that it works. I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

0 Likes

@Qanatoz, I disconnected my SSDs and put a flashed USB with Windows 10 on it, the same problem persists. I just noticed that none of the LEDs stay on, they all go white once and all of them disable (in order) BOOT is last.

0 Likes

@xRedible  last option - another GPU. It look's like all POST completed without errors. LED will continue to be turned on if you stuck at error code.

0 Likes

Alright, thanks. But I have one more question. Shouldn't my motherboard be able to display anything without a graphics card since it has it's own HDMI port? I've tried that and it still doesn't work.

0 Likes

Have you checked in bios, as it's a new motherboard you may have to change the boot sequence or see if it's set to legacy/Uefi or just Uefi..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

@vialli100, I would love to do that but the problem is that I don’t get anything on the monitor, no logo of my PC, no BIOS, no boot manager, nothing.

0 Likes

@xRedibleYour CPU is not APU. No integrated graphics.

0 Likes

@Qanatoz, alright. Thank you.

0 Likes

If the Motherboard is stuck on the BOOT Trouble LED that means the GPU, CPU, & RAM passed the BIOS test and it is a hardware connected to your Motherboard preventing you from booting into Windows.

Most likely it is the Windows Drive. 

What does boot LED light mean?
BOOT: A red light near the BOOT indicator means something is wrong with the boot devices, which would be the hard drive. More specifically, it's the hard drive where the OS is stored. VGA: A red light near the VGA or GPU indicator means the graphics card is not detected or seated correctly.Nov 4, 2021

I would disconnect everything from the Motherboard except the PSU, CPU, GPU, and Windows drive and see if it boots into Windows with or without Video Outputs.

Qanatoz
Challenger

@xRedible  Before posting please collect all info about your PC. Post it with your problem included.

Firstly AMD drivers mostly can't destroy your GPU, also RX580 come with massive heatsink that can work in passive mode, so your PC will only halt and work after OC or overvoltage with high probability.

Critical information in this case:

- CPU

- Motherboard

- RAM

- PSU

- GPU (you can find product number at sticker)

Post dates when you purchased all of it - no need for exact dates, you can post years or months.

Do you have Warranty for your PC? Is it warranty sealed without damage at stickers?

0 Likes

It gonna work, but it's just for temporary fix, my rx470 died last year, heating it then it works for a few months and died again, heating it again and again, and my gpu died more often until it give up and blown some capacitors

0 Likes