cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

modcon9
Adept II

PBO and 5900x gaming

I just got a 5900x and it's my first Amd CPU, should I enable PBO? it's set to auto does that mean it's already enable ? or should I click on enable? is it like m.c.e. on Intel cpu's? does it help in gaming ? my motherboard is aa Asus b550 gaming f Wi-Fi if that matters. thanks for the reply in advance.

2 Solutions
Duh_buhl
Adept I

Auto is fine. It will boost based on voltage and temps. You should look into using curve optimizer and seeing how much of a negative offset you can put on each core without losing performance 

View solution in original post

filinux
Elite

Hi ModCon9!

Congrats on your first AMD CPU and on it being a AMAZING piece of hardware as well!!  The 5900X (IMHO) checks all the right boxes for being a all around  great CPU for gaming, work, power users, etc etc.   You are correct that P.B.O is along the same lines as iNTELs M.C.E.   As for helping in gaming, I think that might be a mixed bag of results.  So many factors come in to play (and opinions) showing gains and losses both depending on games, other hardware, settings, and on and on.   In my own experience with PBO in gaming (5900X on X570S Master)  the biggest benefits come from games that can utilize multiple cores.  When looking at benchmarks & performance in gaming the power and the temperature required to obtain top results  is equally as important to me as the actual results. 

The new PBO2 does help a great deal across the board from what I have seen first hand and read about.  It utilizes algorithms to push clocks higher for longer,  often while using less power and producing less heat.  I find the best results are when you actually dial in the settings for your CPU, Mobo, Cooling, etc using Curve Optimizer & other tools/settings in the BIOS.   AMD has done a wonderful job in providing video's, docs, demo's and more explaining the hows & whys of PBO2.  I would recommend checking them out as well as downloading (and learning about) Ryzen Master from AMD.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If your processor isn't overheating with PBO on "Auto" I would leave it like that.

I also have a Asus Motherboard with PBO on "Auto" and my processor cores does boost when needed.

Auto means that BIOS will determine if PBO is needed or not. If it is needed it is enabled and when not needed it is disabled.

You can set PBO to enabled to have it on all the time if you wish.

Are there any drawbacks to just leaving it enabled? Thanks again

0 Likes

None as long as your CPU Cooler is strong enough to prevent your processor from overheating.

awesome thanks for your help

0 Likes
Duh_buhl
Adept I

Auto is fine. It will boost based on voltage and temps. You should look into using curve optimizer and seeing how much of a negative offset you can put on each core without losing performance 

filinux
Elite

Hi ModCon9!

Congrats on your first AMD CPU and on it being a AMAZING piece of hardware as well!!  The 5900X (IMHO) checks all the right boxes for being a all around  great CPU for gaming, work, power users, etc etc.   You are correct that P.B.O is along the same lines as iNTELs M.C.E.   As for helping in gaming, I think that might be a mixed bag of results.  So many factors come in to play (and opinions) showing gains and losses both depending on games, other hardware, settings, and on and on.   In my own experience with PBO in gaming (5900X on X570S Master)  the biggest benefits come from games that can utilize multiple cores.  When looking at benchmarks & performance in gaming the power and the temperature required to obtain top results  is equally as important to me as the actual results. 

The new PBO2 does help a great deal across the board from what I have seen first hand and read about.  It utilizes algorithms to push clocks higher for longer,  often while using less power and producing less heat.  I find the best results are when you actually dial in the settings for your CPU, Mobo, Cooling, etc using Curve Optimizer & other tools/settings in the BIOS.   AMD has done a wonderful job in providing video's, docs, demo's and more explaining the hows & whys of PBO2.  I would recommend checking them out as well as downloading (and learning about) Ryzen Master from AMD.  

Hey filinux thanks for the info ,it helps explain a lot, I'm loving the 5900x so far.

0 Likes