Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

west
Adept II

Palit GeForce GTX 1650 KalmX

Hello,

I am on a budget and am looking to buy a gpu and cpu for my current build. I don't want any noise, so I am looking for a passively cooled gpu.

After looking around I found the Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX 4GB to be the best passively cooled gpu and I intend to pair it with ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 5 2600

I am currently using an apu build:

Ryzen 3 2200g

Msi B450 Tomahawk

Seasonic S12II-520 520W Bronze

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 300MHz

My questions are:

1. Which of the two ryzen cpus would be best to pair the gpu with?

2.Does anyone have Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX 4GB and can you share your experience with it or any other passively cooled gpu?

3. The upcoming ryzen 4000 apus (particularly the one with 8 cores and 2100MHz gpu) seems to might have a similar performance (or close)  to the  Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX 4GB. I know integrated gpu is not as dedicated one, but should I buy the Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX 4GB or wait for the new apus?

Also, I am willing to pay 50-60 bucks more for a graphics card, but I don't seem to find any better passively cooled one.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
8 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

1. The 2600 is just a better chip than the 1600. 3300X is worth considering if it's available in your area (and not hugely marked up)
  2. Don't have one sorry.
  3. Up to you really. Are you happy to take the risk with the potentially risky bios update that the 4000 series chips will need on a B450 board.

What are you planning on using the PC for?

How quiet do you need it to be?

A lot of the newer graphics cards don't turn the GPU fans on until they reach 50+C.

With frame rate limiting you would probably still get better performance than the 1650 without going over the temp threshold.

0 Likes

Hello

The 3300x is available in my area and it's about 7-8 bucks more expensive than the ryzen 5 2600, so, difference is insignificant. I'd prefer to get the ryzen 5 2600 because of the number of cores. I could also go for the ryzen 5 3600 and I would, but there isn't passively cooled graphic card to suit it. It will be a waste of money to have a cpu that's significantly better than the GTX 1650 KalmX 4GB.

I do play games, but I am not really a huge gamer or at least I have no problem with playing on medium settings or mixed medium to low.

I don't use some really heavy programs, but I do like to learn things or at least try, so I might use some relatively easy on the system programs - I tried to learn coding ones, but nothing serious.

I was planning to upgrade with ryzen 5 2600 and rx 580 last year, but I changed my mind, as I wasn't really sure about buying gpu, because of the noise and I also read many complaints from people with their rx 580 being too loud. So, since then I do go back and forth thinking abut bying gpu, but I eventually dropped that idea out and I decided to wait for the new apus.

I am aware of the risks with the 400 series boards and I was prepared to eventually buy a B550 motherboard, but honestly, seeing the prices and that the B550 motherboards don't really offer that much, as well as them supporting only the 4000 cpus I just don't like the idea of buying any of the B550 ones. Or even the X570, which are more expensive.

I would like to have a really quiet pc, barely auidible. My current apu is pretty quiet, but that's expected.

I can definitely afford a relatively good pc, but graphic cards stops me. Hopefully manufacturers will focus more on passively cooled gpus.

In any ways, I don't really have a good point of reference between my current build (which as I said is pretty quiet) and one with gpu.

0 Likes

Likewise I don't have a good frame of reference of how quiet a build gets.

My PC is running 3600X with stock cooler, 5 x Artic A12 case fans and a 5700XT

Using a sound meter app on my phone

GPU fan comes on at 55C

At idle the meter reads 34dB

GPU fan  at 50% still reads 34dB

GPU fan at 100% reads 37dB

By default the GPU fan curve doesn't go above 60%.

My case fans aren't quiet but I find the computer barely noticeable if there is any other noise.

0 Likes

Nice set up.

I looked up some stats about the level of sound the Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX and it says it's 29dB, both when idle and during load. Seems to be 8dB quieter than yours, which I guess is not that much.

Here's the site - Palit GeForce GTX 1650 KalmX review - Graphics card acoustic levels 

It does show some examples of sound levels at the top, which I am not sure how accurate they can be. If those comparisons are correct, then 40dB should be barely audible, but I can't really know. I am not sure how bedroom sound can be compared to a gpu sound. Unless that bedrom sound is from someone snoring

Are you playing heavy games? I mean, with these specs I would assume so, but do you play heavy games often and which games?

0 Likes

Well I'm still off work due to lockdown so plenty of times to play games.

Currently I have been playing -

Doom Eternal

No Man's Sky

Magic Arena

The Long Dark

Oxygen not included.

Built the computer in March.

I still need to upgrade my monitor.

The 5700xt is overkill on a 1080p monitor.

0 Likes
west
Adept II

Nice! I have all of them on my wish list, except for Magic Arena.

I did order the Palit Gerforce GTX 1650 KalmX and I actually ordered ryzen 5 3600 with the intention to upgrade the gpu at some point, whenever a better passively cooled one is released (or a decent silent one).

I dropped the idea of the 4000 processors - only a B550 motherboard costs as much as ryzen 5 3600 and none of those boards are that better than the one I have, especially when they support only one generation of processors. I guess the better choice is to keep upgrading with the next 3000 processor, as they have a really good value for years to come and price will be decreasing over time.

In any ways, I am still interesting in looking at suggestions and different perspectives, specifically on passively cooled/budget oriented silent gpus.

I will post an update on the cpu and gpu, as soon as I am able to test them, whenever they arrive. Hopefully there won't be any issues.

0 Likes

Have to say I am disappointed in the pricing of the B550 boards.

I am planning on an upgrade path of a better 3000 series chip in the future or maybe try the bios update and the 4000 series chip  Either way that will be a couple of years down the line probably.

Have been considering a monitor upgrade to 1440p 144Hz but the display timing issues have been putting me off a bit.

Water cooling is probably the way to go for a silent PC but while CPU AIO are great the water cooling for GPU's need full water cooling systems and aren't cheap.

0 Likes
west
Adept II

Yeah, those mobos just don't make it worth it. We will see.

Indeed you could keep upgrading to the next 3000 cpu for years to come.

The 4000 cpu release gave me an opportunity to rethink my purchase an probably find a better build for myself. Instead of buying any of those B550 boards I bought myself a really decent cpu for the same price. Neither will I have to potentially ruin my B450 tomahawk, which I find being a good quality motherboard. 

And I will see how the silent gpu is performing.

A Higher refresh rate is always nice, if you have the money. I am using a 60Hz one, but I'll hold on to it for a bit longer

I honestly don't like the idea for water cooling, especially the gpu. I definitely think they will find a better way to improve cooling for silent pc, but we will have to wait. Or maybe not, who knows what's coming along the way with the ddr5 and ryzen 5000.

Some people spend additional money to replace their gpu fans with passive coolers like Arctic Accelero etc, but I don't have the courage to try and risk destroying a gpu. 

0 Likes