Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Overclocking leads to underclocking

I have a R7 265, running latest drivers. Whenever I try to overclock the card, even slightly, with 5 MHz increase, it severely underclocks (both Memory and Core clock) to 150 Mhz; stock is 925 MHz Core and 1400 MHz Memory.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: Overclocking leads to underclocking

Roll back a driver or 2 might be an idea. I am on the 18.2.1 driver & stepsons R7360OC same driver. Are you using any 3rd party software like Msi Afterburner, Rivatuner anything like that idea would be uninstall all that junk. With wattman you should be able to control how you bump it. I only run voltage bumped & increased fan profile I could suggest run it like that before giving it an OC is it. Is your card the proper OC card hard to say a bit more info may be handy of your build could be PSU related to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I tried using MSI Afterburner, and I discovered this issue, but with AMD Center built-in OverDrive it's the same. It was the same on 18.2.1 driver. Before, I was using 17.. something driver version and it was overclocked without a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Dont use afterburner its probly part of the cause. Do not ever run 3rd party software with AMD products will cause issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It is the same using AMD Wattman

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

How old is your psu & what quality is it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

4 years old -> Sirtec HPC-500-G12S Bronze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

making me wonder is you PSU starting to give up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Is there any way I can test it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It's a garbage 400w power supply, but that's not your problem. Try an older driver set using the Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers​ method.

0 Kudos