cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

darkky123
Journeyman III

Overclocking leads to underclocking

I have a R7 265, running latest drivers. Whenever I try to overclock the card, even slightly, with 5 MHz increase, it severely underclocks (both Memory and Core clock) to 150 Mhz; stock is 925 MHz Core and 1400 MHz Memory.

0 Likes
15 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

Roll back a driver or 2 might be an idea. I am on the 18.2.1 driver & stepsons R7360OC same driver. Are you using any 3rd party software like Msi Afterburner, Rivatuner anything like that idea would be uninstall all that junk. With wattman you should be able to control how you bump it. I only run voltage bumped & increased fan profile I could suggest run it like that before giving it an OC is it. Is your card the proper OC card hard to say a bit more info may be handy of your build could be PSU related to.

0 Likes

I tried using MSI Afterburner, and I discovered this issue, but with AMD Center built-in OverDrive it's the same. It was the same on 18.2.1 driver. Before, I was using 17.. something driver version and it was overclocked without a problem.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Dont use afterburner its probly part of the cause. Do not ever run 3rd party software with AMD products will cause issues.

0 Likes

It is the same using AMD Wattman

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

How old is your psu & what quality is it

0 Likes

4 years old -> Sirtec HPC-500-G12S Bronze

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

making me wonder is you PSU starting to give up.

0 Likes

Is there any way I can test it?

0 Likes

It's a garbage 400w power supply, but that's not your problem. Try an older driver set using the Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers​ method.

0 Likes

Power supply testers can be purchased just about anywhere for under $20 (see Newegg or other online retailers).  Every system builder should own one, it saves a lot of headaches.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I'm with Blackzion..

Did you wipe your old drivers?  I would run Display Driver Uninstaller (aka DDU) in safe mode, use the amd option and uninstall and reboot option, then install the new driver accordingly.

If you prefer to use msi afterburner over wattman,  don't install radeon settings..  just do the driver install and skip everything else, then install afterburner after you successfully install the standalone driver..

0 Likes
darkky123
Journeyman III

I'll try an older driver. I have installed the latest using the built-in "clean install" option

0 Likes

Clean Install is good when you're going forward, BUT it doesn't delete C:\AMD and some other files so it isn't a TRUE clean install, and Windows 10 will overwrite drivers unless you tell it not to.

0 Likes
darkky123
Journeyman III

I know it's a bit late, but I think the issue is now fixed.

I used DDU to completely remove the driver and reinstall it, it didn't work. So I flashed a new BIOS and it worked so far, although when not in use, the GPU doesn't stay at the default 400 Core and 1400 MHz Memory, it drops back to 300 - 150, but so far it ramps up when needed.

//Scratch that. After a restart, the issue is back.

///L.E: The issue in which the frequencies drop to 300 - 150 and don't go back up only happens when overclocking with MSI Afterburner or any 3rd party software. If I use AMD Wattman to overclock the card, the frequencies still drop to 300 - 150 (Core - Memory) but when needed (i.e in a game) it will use the set frequencies.

Still a strange issue nonetheless.

0 Likes

So, if anyone has any more ideas on how I could solve this, it would be appreciated.

Also, I don't have the option to change voltage in AMD Wattman.

0 Likes