cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Yuoaman
Journeyman III

Occasional black screen with 144hz monitor

I've been dealing with this issue for weeks now and I'm running out of ideas on what could be causing it. Back in mid-January I got a 1080p 144hz monitor and connected it as my primary display, making my old 75hz display my secondary. Immediately I started having issues, primarily in Final Fantasy XIV. Essentially what happens is that at random intervals, sometimes several minutes apart, and sometimes maybe only a few dozen seconds, I'll get a black screen that lasts just a few seconds. The game doesn't crash, and according to all of the information in the hardware monitor of MSI Afterburner nothing unusual is happening with the GPU. The only thing I can think is that these might be happening when the frame rate is highly variable, but I don't even have enough information to be sure of that.

I even replaced the monitor with a completely different model, with a different panel, from an entirely different manufacturer - the only similarity is that both are 144hz displays. The issue persists, however.

I've tried three separate DisplayPort cables and two HDMI cables, no change. I've tried disabling my overclock, no change. I've run it as fullscreen and borderless windowed, with no change. I've tried using RTSS to frame limit the game to various different frame rates, no change at all. I tried disabling FreeSync entirely with the first monitor and that didn't change anything but I really don't want to have to try that because the high refresh rate and FreeSync are the reasons I chose the monitors I did.

Specs:

Monitor: AOC 24G2 1080p

GPU: XFX RX 580 8GB

CPU: Ryzen 2600x

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus

RAM: 16GB @ 3000Mhz

Power Supply: EVGA 550 Watt 80+ Gold

0 Likes
11 Replies
chemakerr
Journeyman III

have you got a secondary display???? this is the problem

0 Likes

It has occurred when the secondary display isn't in use, so that isn't it.

0 Likes

Hi,

Do you have AMD Adrenalin installed together with MSI Afterburner?
Currently there are know issues such as screen flickering etc. when these two are installed together.

0 Likes

I do, but I've never had an issue before in any games like this. I played about 90 minutes of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, a much more graphically demanding game than Final Fantasy XIV, and didn't see a single black screen.

0 Likes
Yuoaman
Journeyman III

Just updating to note that this is still occurring, I've been able to mitigate it in Final Fantasy XIV by running the game in exclusive fullscreen mode and setting the display in the game to 60hz, but I still get them occasionally, and obviously, this only affects the one game. I saw people online mentioning that underclocking their card helped and I attempted to underclock my card from 1386mHz GPU clock / 8000 Mhz Memory clock down to 1200 Mhz GPU clock / 7200 Mhz Memory clock and it still happened, so I've gone back to my normal overclock.

I've run dry on potential fixes beyond just replacing the GPU, but that's an expensive proposition and the RX 580 should be more than enough to handle what I'm throwing at it.

0 Likes

The issues are still occurring so I thought I'd include an update. I was able to partially resolve it by downclocking my GPU even further down to 1140 Mhz GPU clock and 7000 Mhz memory clock. I haven't had the black screen occur when downclocked to this degree, but I'm also losing out on 5-10 fps depending on the game, so this isn't ideal. I thought it might be related to issues with Enhanced Sync so tried disabling that and it appeared to help but then last night while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey I did encounter the occasional black screen, though less frequently than in games like FFXIV that generally run at a higher frame rate on my PC.

I'm getting more and more discouraged by this issue every single day, I'm spending sometimes hours a day just frantically Googling for answers and I've submitted bug reports through the AMD Radeon Software each time it happens, but there has to be a permanent solution somewhere.

0 Likes

Was able to reliably catch it on video, I also have the refresh rate of the monitor (not the in-game frame rate) displayed in the top right.

0 Likes
Ferroic
Adept I

Have you tried changing how your screen is connected to the GPU? I had similar problems before that were related to a dodgy HDMI cable. Maybe the bandwidth of the cable is not high enough for the full 144 Hz at your resolution?

0 Likes

I appreciate the response but as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've used like five or six assorted cables, one of which I bought specifically because it was a DP 1.4 cable, thinking it might be a bandwidth issue. No change.

0 Likes

Any update on this? I have the exact same problem pretty much the exact setup, except for a 2600 cpu and a 570 8gb as my gpu. What i ussually do is reconnect the hdmi from the gpu and it usually solves it for a while. However i also encounter this problem while on the desktop or using windowed desktop apps (normal workloads).

For a moment i thought it was a power supply issue, but it shouldn't be a problem since the recommendation is a 350w one, and i own a 500w psu.

Thanks in advance for any update

0 Likes
Tuviejaxor69
Journeyman III

Found a fix

At least what worked for me was. I disabled the "HDMI link assurance" and HDCP options on settings/display on radeon settings. The HDCP one is located under "overrides"

I haven't encountered the problem since...

Hope this helps.

0 Likes