Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pokexpert
Journeyman III

Not enough performances Rx480

Hello guys

I am using an rx480 since august, in replacement to a old 660.

Im bothered by the relatively low perofrmance on that card, even after a full os reinstall

What i mean :

Evertying is in ultra settings in 1080p :

40fps on gta 5, no msaa

70fps overwatch with  ULTRA ANNOYING DROPS TO 50FPS (elite preset)

Moreover, on arma 3 i am having NOT A SINGLE DIFFERENCE with my old 660 (30fps medium)

Not cpu bound (tested with afterburner)

Config :

I5-4590

Asus H97 Plus

SAPPHIRE Rx 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB

16GB ram

Dual 1080p display

Windows 10 64bits

Games are running on a new (3 months old) seagate sshd

What could be wrong?

Thanks

0 Likes
11 Replies
redfury
Big Boss

Re: Not enough performances Rx480

Show me GPU-Z main screen

1.You can try different driver versions. I suggest you 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 or and 16.12.2 driver Windows 10 (64-bit)

2.Run HWinfo64>sensors only>Logging start and play for 15-20 min. I want to see that log

sens log.JPG

0 Likes
arcticwind
Forerunner

The RX 480 is considered a "midrange" GPU.  It's performance is only a little better then the GTX 660.

Go to gpuboss.com and compare the two. Compare Graphics cards

Also... GPU Hierarchy - Comparison of Graphics Cards for Gaming

0 Likes
mottoman216
Adept III

what a nonsensical post. "It's performance is only a little better then the GTX 660.".... he said RX 480. not GTX 480. the RX 480 is heaps faster than the old 660.

GTX 660 Passmark Score - 4117

RX 480 Passmark Score - 7930

redfury
Big Boss

Agree. RX 480 is faster at least  about as twice.

Maybe he confused RX 480 with RX 460.

0 Likes
ismithers
Elite

Here is a video benchmark of the RX 480 in GTA 5 with Ultra settings: GTA 5 Pc Ultra Settings 1080p AMD RX 480 Frame Rate Performance Test - YouTube  and his experience is very similar to yours, he does get slightly higher FPS, but bear in mind he has a faster CPU than you. Also worthy of noting is that he has no recording software running, he is using an HD60 | elgato.com to record it and remove any loss in performance due to the encoding.

I don't think your performance is bad for the card in GTA 5 at least. Have you researched benchmarks from similar systems as yours to compare? The RX 480 isn't a high end card, so I'm not sure running games on Ultra settings is realistic. Maybe others have some thoughts.

xeleron
Miniboss

it is impossible to not be cpu bound in ARMA 3 because it is a single core game.Afterburner will not show you the fact that the CPU is chocking because there is no load on the other cores.In reality,I would suggest you to set afterburner OSD monitor to display load per cores and see if one of the cores is constantly under heavy load.

0 Likes
pokexpert
Journeyman III

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

1.GPU-Z reports that you are using old driver version 16.6 .You need to install something more new .

2.GTA V in your case is very CPU bound. You have total CPU load about 92-95% all the time. GPU load is much less - 66-80%

3.Delete C:\AMD folder

4.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system from NVidia and AMD driver remains in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 17.2.1 driver Windows 10 (64-bit)

ambrose
Challenger

Hello,

Not too familiar with these cards but would yours happen to have a little tiny switch on it somewhere? Dual Bios Switch.

Cheers

0 Likes