Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

AMDNOOBGAMER
Journeyman III

Noob PC man here. Need assistance on potential upgrades of CPU and GPU

Good Day,
I purchased a PC a while back for a basic gaming set up. With new games comming out and my growing interest in playing new games on PC. I am looking to make some upgrades, but it is my understanding this is dependent on the motherboard. Currently, my specs are as follows 

ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 is my motherboard
amd radeon rx vega 11 - that is my graphics

Any suggestions/ tips would be great. Thank you for your time
0 Likes
3 Replies

Your Motherboard will support the latest GPU cards. From ASRock specs on your Motherboard PCIe slots:

• Slots
    AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse, Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge)
    - 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x16 mode)*
    AMD 7th A-Series APUs
    - 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x8 mode)*
    AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Picasso, Raven Ridge)
    - 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x8 mode)*
    AMD Athlon series CPUs
    - 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x4 mode)*

- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slot

*Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

The only problem you will have is if the processor will throttle the GPU card's performance because it isn't powerful enough to handle the loads the GPU needs.

If you upgrade to a Matisse Processor (3000 Series processors) there is less chance of that happening.  Your APU is not as powerful as a Matisse Processor.

Note: You might also need to upgrade your PSU if it isn't powerful enough for the new GPU and CPU upgrades. Plus if your new GPU card needs to have PCIe GPU Power cables to connect from the PSU.

xlox
Forerunner

goal is gaming ?

3600x + 5700xt/5600xt/6800 ......everything depends on your budget

but i'm not sure it's the best time to buy hardware this days, everything is ultra expensive except if you can get directly from amd , or second hand at fair price

I really was just looking to make a minor improvement. Tho as you state the prices are high and from what it seems are out of stock too. The vega 11 is integrated so I have an open GPU slot. Even like GX-500 from what I have seen may do the job. I wasn't sure about my motherboard being compatible but the gent above has proven otherwise.