Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

asapricky
Journeyman III

No way to switch my graphics on laptop?

Hi,

I've had my laptop for 5 years and I've never been able to figure out how to use my second graphics card. I have a Radeon R6 and an R7 and for some reason all games use the R6 and I see no way to change this. If I go into the new control panel (AMD Adrenalin), all games are using the R6 and I can't change it. Any way I can finally use the proper graphics card?

Thank you

15 Replies
fsadough

No, But you can use and external box with a discrete GPU

eGFX Breakaway Box for AMD and NVIDIA GPUs | Sonnet 

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

Your question comes up from time to time, but not frequently. I believe the reason is because most laptops have a GPU that is embedded with the CPU, the default GPU, and then a second more powerful GPU. In this instance, I believe most games detect and use the better GPU.

With that said, there is a way in Windows to help an app know what GPU to use. it has nothing really to do with Adrenalin. From Windows Start, open Settings and go to System -> Display. From there scroll down to Graphics Settings. From there on the lower portion of the window you should see Graphics performance preference. If you app/game is a Universal app then choose Universal app, and select the specific app. If not, then choose Classic app, and browse to the executable. Click Add, and then when the app options are shown, you can select High Performance, or one of the other options.

I am not sure how to have the OS determine what GPU is considered High Performance. There is likely information available with a Bing or Google search.

Addendum: In doing some further research, I learned that updates to Windows 10 have added a new feature for machines with multiple GPU. On such machines you can right click the shortcut and there is an option labeled  Run with graphics processor, and the sub-menu listing the different GPU. That should give you two ways to select a specific GPU when you open an app.

0 Likes

the same problem happens to me and I could never solve it using win8.1, do all versions of win 10 bring that option or any in specific?

pd: in another forum they mentioned that re7 is the only thing that works with the dedicated gpu
0 Likes

I can only say that Win 10 build 1909 has that feature. I do not believe it would be available for Window 7 or Windows 8.x. People need to remember the changes in hardware that have happened in just the past few years.

0 Likes

First of all, thank you for researching my issue and trying to solve the problem. I tried selecting an app in the graphics settings like you said but when I try and select high performance I notice it shows the lesser GPU in all cases (system standard, energy saving, high performance). For some reason it doesn't detect the more powerful GPU. Any idea what's happening there?

0 Likes

Out of curiosity, what happens in Device Manager if you disable the lesser GPU, the R6, and just leave the R7 available?

0 Likes

I have the same problem, when I switch off the integrated GPU it swaps to the basic display driver and the Radeon app stops working

0 Likes
sayageen
Journeyman III

Follow the following steps

1.png

2.png3.png4.png52.png6.png

0 Likes

I have the same problem, it shows the integrated GPU as both the power-saving and high-performance option.

0 Likes
mr7
Journeyman III

I also have the exact same problem with my Laptop:

ASUS X555DG

AMD FX8800P

Radeon R7 :1GB

Radeon R8M350DX:2GB

I install the latest Windows version 1909 and the latest AMD Adrenaline software version 20.4.1 and still no luck.

I've tried everything: Disabling R7 Graphic, set high performance on the graphic setting, updating my BIOS, ...

Picture1.jpg

Can AnyBody Help US? 

0 Likes

Microsoft changed the interface from the GPU driver to Windows itself controlling switchable graphics. AMD says this is a Microsoft issue. Ask Microsoft whey their new change does not work. I agree it sucks. I can however tell you that on my nvidia switchable graphics laptop that the Nvidia control panel also no longer controls this and you set it in Windows, however it does work. Not sure exactly where the blame lies with the AMD graphics, if AMD could do something to help or not. Report the issue to AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

I posted about this on Microsoft's forums, no solution yet. Do you know what Windows version this thing was changed? Perhaps rolling back could help :/

0 Likes

I think it was 1903. So you would have to go back to 1809. With 2004 now out, 1809 should be losing support in November which is already a delay, originally slated to end May 12, 2020. So going backwards is not a good idea. 

0 Likes

I have the same problem, my games can only use 1024Mb VRAM total (512 from integrated and 512 from dedicated)

I have seen many other posts on this, yet none have a solution...

0 Likes