Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

nappen
Adept I
Adept I

No video signal after installing Radeon R7 350

I have an older HP that the video card went belly up on. It still works with the native support but crashes whenever AMD drivers are installed. I worked with Newegg and ordered a new card, but when I install it, I get no video signal output. I am running in legacy BIOS and do not see any option to change to UEFI. Am not sure if that is an issue. I see that the 360 and 370 specifically say they support both, but the 350 only says UEFI.

My computer info:

• Radeon HD 7450 1 GB DDR3
  • HP HPE H8-1234
  • Windows 10 64bit

• Dell monitor connected with standard monitor cable
  • ViewSonic 1080p HD via HDMI
  • Motherboard: M3970AM-HP (Angelica 2)
  • CPU/APU: AMD 6 dore FX 6120 3.49ghz x64
  • Power Supply Unit: the 600w EVGA 600B
  • RAM: 24 GB DDR3
  • BIOS An2_705.rom v7.05 April 17, 2012

Any help appreciated. I am at a loss at this point.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

Re: No video signal after installing Radeon R7 350

The UEFI doesn't matter. I've used newer cards like the 370 and 380 on 12 year old boards. The deal may very well be windows 10. It does the black screen anytime I change a graphics card unless I uninstall the old drivers first using DDU. But there is a work around. What happens is windows 10 tries to load the old driver based on the HAL and locks up. Now if you press and hold the power button then boot again it should load after a few seconds. If however your not even getting the bios splash screen it's a different issue. Another thing you can try that works for me is to uninstall the old graphics card in the device manager, then shut down and install the new one (unplug your power supply first). I do that if I'm changing to another card that uses the same driver like from my RX 480 to my R9 Fury.  Windows 10 is a big pain in the backside when it comes to changing video cards.

0 Kudos
nappen
Adept I
Adept I

I did a complete uninstall in safe mode using AMDcleaner. When I turn on the computer the fans all go and it sounds like it is running, but there is just no signal to the monitors. Not sure if my old card...a radeon HD 7450 1 GB DDR3 uses the same driver or not.

1) I wonder if I install the drivers first would that make a difference.

2) Should I still try the power down by holding the power button or is that not applicable here?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

If it's not even turning the monitor on, then it is because the bios on the card supports UEFI only.  I did some testing last night. My R7 370 works on everything that has a PCI-e slot, My R9 380's, R9 Fury, and RX 460 does not turn the monitor on with a older motherboard that uses a Phoenix / Award bios. I also tested a GTX 570, and had the same issue. It's not  just a AMD thing and it may not be limited to the Award / Phoenix bios. But I've used all the cards listed above in a 8 year old server motherboard with the AMI bios and they all worked.

nappen
Adept I
Adept I

The card is UEFI only and the 370 is dual BIOS according to the website. Was what I was afraid of. Will call newegg back and schedule the return and make sure the new one is legacy. Old computer so will probably scale down not up but try to stick with a 2GB card. Any recommendations. Was looking at the R7240. Very inexpensive and faster than my old card with twice the memory. I don't play much in the way of video games, but do use adobe premier and after effects.

0 Kudos
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

I also have a R7 240. I'll set my old board back up on my test bench and try it and get back with you as soon as I can.

0 Kudos
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

As goofy as this may sound, My Gigabyte R7 240 would not post, but my Gigabyte R7 370 did. My old XFX HD 6450 1gb also works as does my XFX HD 6570 2gb. I think the reason why the 370 works  as it is a re brand of the HD 7850, the 270 280 were also HD 7xxx cards, but the 240 and 350 are not. Someone else posted the same problem with a R9 Fury in a socket 775 board and his previous card was a R9 285 which is also a rebrand 7xxx card.

nappen
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks a million. The original card was a HD 7450. I will try and find a 6570. As long as I am changing out cards I might as well increase the memory. I thought about the r7 370 but it was much more than the 240. At this point, not sure I want to spend a lot on the card. Hoping to get another couple of years out of the computer.

If I am tracking I should look for rebrands of radeon 7xxx cards. I am not the most computer savvy, but learning a lot.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

There are some deals available now...and probably should see more price decreases shortly.

0 Kudos
nappen
Adept I
Adept I

Another silly question. Does the DDR5 vs DDR 3 matter. My ram is DDR3, but the 370 is DDR 5?

0 Kudos