Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sqwad
Adept I

No video display from Firepro W4100

Hello,

I recently purchased a Firepro W4100. When I first attempted to boot my workstation with the card installed I received no video output. I then moved the card from my PCIe x16 lane to my PCIe x4 lane and got an output. The x16 lane does work as I got a video signal from another graphics card I had laying around. While the card functions from the x4 lane it's not ideal. What can I do to remedy this issue?

As an extra detail, I am using an Inland mini DisplayPort 1.1a to HDMI cable for my video cable.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
8 Replies

Possibly you need a Active MiniDP>HDMI HD Adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Supporting-Technology/dp/B00PJ3LSIG 

Inland MiniDP>HDMI seems to be passive type.

Just trying to eliminate an incompatible Adapter.

0 Likes

Ok, so I went out today and purchased (what I believe to be) an active adapter, no dice. I took the card apart to see if there were any blatant issues with the circuitry, but other than a smothering of thermal grease on the chip it still only produced a display when in the x4 PCIe lane. A new phenomenon seems to occur, though. Before the computer would at least post with the card in the x16 lane but after I changed the adapter it refuses to post.

The adapter I bought was a DYNEX mini DisplayPort to HDMI. It carries a DP++ symbol on it so I presume it has a chip to convert the signal. I have attached an image of the adapter below.

I should also clarify I'm using screens that will be 1080p at max so I have no need for high-resolution cables.P_20200719_222701.jpg

1. What is your OS? Exact version (use winver)
  2. What is your PC including system BIOS version?
  3. What is the Bios Part Number of the W4100?
    • It starts with 113-xxxxxx
    • Install the card on PCI x4 and look up in Radeon Pro Settings / System / Hardware
  4. What is the Product Part Number (112-xxxxxxx)?
    • You can see it on a green sticker on the back of the card.

1. I am using Windows 10 version 1607. The OS build is 14393.0. This is a fresh install so it's lacking major updates right now.

2. Specifications, custom built:

- CPU: FX-6300

- Motherboard: Asrock 970m Pro3 BIOS version 1.60

- RAM: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz 

- Storage: 120gb SSD (Inland Brand)

- PSU: 300-watt generic small form factor power supply

- Also one ASUS PCE-AC51 wireless card

3. BIOS Part Number: 113-C7550300-104

4.Product Number: 102C7550600000001

0 Likes

System BIOS and Video BIOS are up-to-date. You need to check your BIOS setting. Try to use default settings in BIOS, you might have wrong PCIE setting in BIOS. Your OS is way too old, try to update to at least Win 10 version 1909 

0 Likes

Well, I took another look at the bios but there isn't much to play around with. Under northbridge settings I could set my primary display adapter as PCIe or PCI. I tried booting with both of those settings and the card in the x16 lane but no display. The fans did spin and the peripherals did work so at least it posts (presumably). Then under APCI configuration, the only setting of note was to enable or disable keeping PCI devices powered on. I attempted booting with that setting both enabled and disabled with no result. I also updated Windows to version 1909 without any change. I did get a pop up upon one boot stating that there is no driver installed or the driver isn't functioning properly. Could this possibly be a driver issue? 

I had the AMD Drivers installed and received this message. I also got w4100 drivers from dell to see if that would resolve the problem but was left with no change in the situation.

EDIT: It has a high chance of being a detection over driver issue. I found some old Acer Athlon x2 prebuilt with a PCIe x16 lane and the computer displayed a video signal no issue.

EDIT 2: I realized I overlooked something. The motherboard has a PCIe 2.0 x16 lane while my card is PCIe gen 3. Could there happen to be a backward compatibility issue?

P_20200721_154754.jpg

P_20200721_115435.jpg

P_20200721_115525.jpgP_20200721_115455.jpg

0 Likes

In addition to hardcoregames suggestions, make sure you uninstall the existing drivers preferable with DDU in Safe mode and then reinstall the latest driver from the web or DELL home page.

0 Likes

check for a BIOS update and make sure you install all windows updates

0 Likes