cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

waltc
Miniboss

Re: No Improvement with Crossfire

PassMark is not much of a 3d-gaming benchmark, imo.   Only a small subset of its included benches actual test your GPU to any extent.  Try UL's 3dMark instead--an order of magnitude better. Or the Uengine's Heaven and Valley benches--all show significant gains with Crossfire.  (Free versions exist for all of these.) I'm running an RX-590/480 8GB Crossfire rig right now and I get *stunning* results!  Bear in mind that Crossfire won't work in every game--but it works in a lot of them!...;)

Remember that DX12 actually supports Crossfire *natively* now, and a great game example of current developer support for it is Shadow of the Tomb Raider--the DX12 mode supports Crossfire natively in the game engine itself--whereas of course the DX11 mode does *not*!  (I have tested it, myself!) In the benchmark included in SotTR, DX12 Crossfire nets me 59 fps average at 3840x2160, whereas the 590 by itself (running with Crossfire disabled) averages 32 fps @ 3840x2160.  So contrary to popular belief, Crossfire is on the verge of working better and in more games than ever, because of DX12's native support!  Prior to DX12, we depended on either nVidia or AMD to write custom profiles for games in order for multi-gpu performance to work--not any more!  I decided to go Crossfire just a couple of weeks ago simply because of DX12's rapid emergence and developer support--as I had not done it since many years ago with twin 4850's .  It worked OK, then--but I am really impressed with the latest Adrenalin drivers and Crossfire--you don't want to run anything except the 18.12.2's and up from now on! (Windows10x64, build 17763.168, Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz, 16GB's 3200Mhz DDR4-2x8 for dual-channel.)

pokester
MVP

Good information. Careful with the terminology though. There is no such thing as crossfire in DX12. It is called MULTI-GPU and it is not symantecs, MULTI-GPU is controlled in the game engine itself. Crossfire DX11 or SLI were driver dependent. Thank you though great information and advice.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

To expand on pokester​'s point, it is called "Multi-GPU" in DX12 and Vulkan because the low level APIs actually see more than one rendering device, which allows application programs to explicitly direct workflow to them.  In DX11 and earlier, the applications only ever see one rendering device regardless of how may were present.  Workload had to be directed implicitly to any additional display adapters via the display driver.

szucsi
Adept I

After checking some reviews I believed that it would be a good idea now I have a different opinion.

I have opened 1 ticket with AMD support and 1 ticket with sapphire.

AMD advised to claim warranty from  sapphire and sapphire to report a bug for AMD software

I have sent their messages to each-other, I might go for the warranty.

szucsi
Adept I

Thanks, I have opened a ticket with AMD and another with sapphire.

szucsi
Adept I

A question here.

Do you know of some possible error log/code that I could read from somewhere?

As if I would have an error code I could specifically search/report the issue.

With only having screenshots to report the lack of crossfire the potential issues can be many.

waltc
Miniboss

Yes, and good point, guys...;)  I'm so used to saying "Crossfire" that it just rolls off the tongue--but you are entirely correct.  Multi-GPU it is--because you can even pair a nVidia & and AMD GPU to run in tandem--though I would not recommend it...!  Yes--I was surprised to see that SotTR supported DX12 multi-GPU as I thought it would take some time for such support to begin appearing in game engines--but apparently building support into the engine is not as onerous as I had expected--D3d12 seems to be taking off fast--especially when we look at the history of d3d 9.0c, eh?...;)  I guess it's because the market is so much bigger now than it was in 2002!

Thanking both pokester and ajlueke, here!  I shouldn't be saying "Crossfire" at all relative to DX12.  I do want to say that if I explicitly disable Crossfire in the 18.12.2/3 drivers--then DX12 multi-GPU support in SotTR fails and drops back to a single GPU--my 590.   that's sort of interesting--perhaps the driver is telling the game engine "run only GPU 0", eh?  Thanks again for the comments!

pokester
MVP

That is interesting. As I thought that is exactly what you are supposed to do, for multi-gpu.

0 Likes
szucsi
Adept I

I might have missed a detail here.

I have picked up the second GPU from a local ebay like website, for a good price and still under warranty.

Most probably the GPU was used for mining, this is why I have started checking the GPU's bios to see if it was changed/updated.

As you can see bellow there is a difference with the bios unsure why, card 0 is the GPU bought as new and card 1 is the GPU bought used.

I saved the bios from GBU0 and attempted to flash it to GPU1 to have the same bios on both cards but for some unknown reason the bios on GPU0 is 512KB and the one on GPU1 is 256 KB. To note that both GPU's are from Sapphire same model same year ...

If I download the official bios it also has 256 KB so I am unsure what to do, I would not flush GPU0 with a 256 KB bios as that is my new card and that is how it came out of the factory.

Bios.PNG

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

​I would ask the company that made that card for advice on the bios difference.