cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

bigbopper
Adept I

No Improvement with Crossfire

I've installed two MSI RX580 8G V1 graphic cards in my system which is built using an AMD FX-8350 CPU and has 16GB of memory.

Everything I can see shows that Crossfire is enabled, however, when I run Performance Test from Passmark there is no difference in the results from one RX580 to the two Crossfire connected RX580s on any of the graphic tests. Shouldn't I see some improvement? Am I missing something? Does Passmark correctly measure cards in Crossfire Mode. Performance Test says Crossfire is enabled.

0 Likes
29 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: No Improvement with Crossfire

Crossfire is a picky thing at best when it works and most the time IMHO is not worth pursuing. Most reviewers will tell you and I believe it true to just buy the best single card solution you can afford. The hay-day of Crossfire and SLI are over. Neither Nvidia or AMD are really pursuing this tech at this point. AMD support has been lackluster for about a year and a half now. Firstly the percentage of people that use it is just about none on the overall scheme of things. Next the are both looking to DX12 and beyond as the future, and they are exactly that, where it is all going. DX12 doesn't use crossfire or sli. DX12 implements MULTI-GPU, a similar tech but standardized and controlled as a standard in Direct X 12 itself. This change means the driver, therefore AMD and NVIDIA don't control or optimize this feature in any way. DX12 MULTI-GPO is controlled completely in the games engine itself and even then only if the developer CHOOSES to support it. The speculation is that most won't, as again most end users won't use multiple cards, so the developer won't wast resources because of this.

-----------

So really the performance gains you get with Crossfire are very dependent on how well the driver and it crossfire profile are working, and how well the game is optimized for crossfire. That varies hugely and only very few games see big improvements approach anywhere near double peformance. It is very common to see results in modest 5 to 20% range. This is why so many just give up on it, as it isn't worth the additional headaches such a more power and stability issues.

Your situation, it seems your processor may be a bit weak to drive 2 of those cards IMHO.

Also I don't know what motherboard you have, but if you added that cpu to an older board, it is widely known that many boards throttle with those cpus, pretty much only the most recent AM3+ boards with the thermal requirements work properly with those cpus.

I understand that many just want to save money. You would likely have been better take the money you spent on a second card and get a ryzen, MB and ram.

We could offer maybe better more targeted help/advice if you could provide the information requested in the forum headers:

When posting a new question, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue making sure to include the relevant hardware and software configuration. 

For example:

• Issue Description: [Describe your issue in detail here]
  • Hardware: [Describe the make and model of your: Graphics Card, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, Display(s), etc.]
  • Software: [Describe version or release date of your: Operating System, Game/Application, Drivers, etc.]
szucsi
Adept I

I am experiencing a similar issue.

Hardware:

GPU: 2 x  Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

MB: GIGABYTE AORUS X470 ULTRA GAMING

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB

PSU: FSP HEXA 85+, 80+ Bronze, 650W

Display: LG 27UD600 4k

Software:

Drivers: win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.12.1.1 and win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.9.3

Games: GTA V, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Formula 1 2015

Tests SW: GPU-Z, FPS-Monitor

Issue:

I have installed a second RX 580 besides my existing RX 580, Radeon Settings suggests that Crossfire is enabled, GPU-Z also suggests that it is enabled.

While playing/benchmarking any of the above games the second GPU is not used at all fans stay at 0 and frequency around 300 MHZ with occasional jumps to 600/900 MHZ usage at 0% with occasional jumps of load for a very short peiod.

I have attempted to Uninstall/Reinstall  the drivers, tested both GPU's individually to make sure that they are working properly (they are..), checked both PCI Express slots, removed 1 card, installed the drivers, added the second card, uninstalled the driver, added both cards installed the driver... disabled enabled ULPS, played around with crossfire settings in individual games AFR/1 x 1.

Nothing helps with every driver, every setting the experience is the same.

What I noticed is that when Crossfire is enabled I get a lot more stuttering than when it is not enabled.

It is hard for me to believe that it is impossible to start Crossfire with my actual configuration.

Can I find some logs on what is happening somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help.

pokester
MVP

Does the game you are playing have a crossfire profile? Does the games maker, claim crossfire support?

0 Likes
szucsi
Adept I

From my knowledge Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Formula 1 2015 have official crossfire support and I did try Assassin's Creed Odyssey wit it's profile with no luck.

Regarding GTA 5 forums reported excellent performance although I believe that crossfire is not officially supported by GTA 5.

I believe that my problem is a general Windows/Driver issue rather than game specific as I see the same behavior in all games.

0 Likes
szucsi
Adept I

Attached 2 screenshots of Radeon Settings and F1 2015 gameplay using it's crossfire profile from Radeon Settings.

To note that in the gameplay image the first GPU is also at 0% but that has a realy helthy 60-99% range when playing.

F1-2015-Gameplay.pngRadeon Settings.png

goodplay
MVP

From Ubi spec for odyssey, so one down,

You'll have to look up for other games.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
pokester
MVP

I don't know if they do or they don't support it. I don't crossfire, gave up that pipe dream a few generations back. Got tired of trying to get one game to sorta work then tons others wouldn't because of it. I know and fully believe some games still do work with is. Never said otherwise. Only said it would have to be one that did support it, to truly benefit. In 2018 those that benefit are pretty few a far between, and IMHO probably not worth the trade off of potential issues. I do wish anyone still using crossfire all the luck in the world. We all certainly want to get what we paid for, and after all the specs on some AMD products still claim Crossfire support, so it should work if it isn't. If the game says it supports it and your card says it supports it, and it isn't working then report it to AMD, the links to do that are in Radeon Settings under the preferences tab.

szucsi
Adept I

Yes but I get the same behavior in all games, and F1 2015 actually has a crossfire profile and nothing happens with the second GPU. (see above images)

So if I would manage to start Crossfire with some application than at least it would be confirmed that it is functional and I need to check the individual games.

My only hint is that I am on the limit with the PSU and it refuses to start because of this...

Any other opinion is very welcomed

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

That may be, and hopefully someone here can offer advice that helps, I know many others know things I don't, we all pickup tricks as we go along. As I already mentioned let AMD know the issue reports and e tickets are the only way we users have to directly talk to AMD, the e tickets are the only way they respond back. The link to that is also on the AMD contact us page at the bottom. These forums are USER TO USER help only. None of us contact anyone in driver development from here. Only the couple official AMD mods have an avenue for that and only if they choose to get involved. In my experience that is not what I would call often.