Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dj2018
Adept II

no display output sapphire r9 280x 3gb gddr5 oc vapor-x no diplay

hi all.

I have a issue where my video card is not giving any display output.. fans are running and all lights are working just not giving any display... I'm a bit gutted as I am like many others a gamer and I want to go to the boundaries of high frame rates.. I know that my card is achievable of this, so I hope that someone can help me?

ideas that I think it might be?

1: bios

2: ami I suppose to have both power cables connected to the card or one?

3: I have one 6 pin connector and one 8 pin connector, does it matter in what order they are connected in?

please I do hope that someone can help me, I will be very appreciated for any help whats so ever.

thank you and will await for any response

0 Likes
44 Replies

hi.

thanks for all the info, if you think that my card is need of a reflow then I would be happy to have that done, but my only problem is.... I live in the Netherlands and i'm not too sure here  of any companies that carry out this sort of work.... my only suggestion is that I can try and send a local computer shop an e-mail and see if they may know of a company that specializes in gpu re-flows... maybe all said and done i'm trying all kinds of bios flashes when it could just simply be a full  gpu re-flow that is needed for it work again?

thanks for all the advice appreciated

Hi,

You can re-flow the card yourself. I have done it. I fixed my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB card that way. Important thing is to get proper reflow paste, and use the setup, temps and timings I gave.  Company in Greece sells the re-flow paste. I gave all the instructions and parts you need in a link above.

If you pay for a Company to take your GPU, disassemble it,  do a re-flow and re-ball (solder re-ball  may not even be needed)  it will very likely cost you more than  a brand new RX 580 8GB card.

You could disassemble the card yourself, and just send them in the PCB, but then ... you really do need to reassemble the entire GPU to test it.

You might get the card to work after 1 re-flow but it might fail shortly after during testing and you may need another attempt.

Honestly it does take some time to strip down your card, clean it with Isopropyl alcohol, clean the heatsink, etc. Do the Solder Reflow, reassemble the card. Test the card so you know the re-flow has worked, then do a final assembly and further testing.

You could probably get hold of a good example of a Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X Trix OC or even Toxic edition on Ebay for ~ 100.
They perform better than your failed card. They are two slots high but they are quite long cards.

To be honest I would stay away from GCN 1.0 HD7970 / R9280x now.
I would skip the R9 200/300 series altogether now and look for for at least a second hand R9 Fury.
A Sapphire Nitro +  R9 Fury 4GB HBM  -  you should be able to find one for ~ 150-200.
That would be a much better buy than an R9 390x 8GB  (they run very hot and take much power in my opinion) but it is up to you.

Further up the price scale are my favorites - the R9 Nano 4GB HBM. They will sell go for ~ 250 -330. second hand on Ebay. I would not go above 300.
Above that you get to R9 Fury X. at 350. At this point since RX Vega 56 prices are dropping now to around 450  you may as well buy new RX Vega 56 or a lGTX1080 new and not have to worry about testing a second hand card that might have been mined to death

If you have any friends in University in Netherlands I am pretty sure that there are some quite famous IC Design / Electrical Engineering departments.
Someone (a student) may be able to reflow your GPU for you if you asked nicely. Try this one: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science

If they cannot do it I am pretty sure they would know who could.

Good luck.

Bye.

0 Likes

hi all.

after getting some good time on my hand to have a good look at my video card I have noticed that I have two back diamond 4 chokes that are damaged well one of them is loose on the board and the other I think is also a problem. My question?

where can I get the replacements from to repair them please?

I will await for any help possible..

many thanks

0 Likes

Contact your local PC sales/repair store. Take the card to them for assessment/quote.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

See if the GPU manufacturer can help you out with some information.

You might be able to get help from Buildzoid if you can contact him, depending on what GPU you have he may be able to help identify the GPU component for you.
Bye.

0 Likes