cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

12gauge
Journeyman III

Newly Bought RX 580 8G ASUS DUAL OC get's diagonal glitchy red and blue squares.

So sorry if i sound angry on this post, i kind of pushed myself away from going to a forum for help. 1. I'm Shy 2. I thought it wasn't a huge deal. TURNS OUT IT IS.

System Specs:

ASRock B450M R4.0 MOBO. (Latest UEFI Bios)

Ryzen 3 3200G.

Corsair Vengeance RAM 16GB 3000MhZ

Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

WD 240GB SATA SSD.

RX 580 8G ASUS DUAL OC.

Software:

Windows 10 64-Bit (Not activated)

Latest BIOS Update.

(I know there is probably more to add to software, but i am not knowledgeable in that field.)

Symptoms: Glitchy diagonal red and blue squares. Sort of a 3D Colour Scheme. Like the Doctor's 3D  Glasses in Season 2 of Dr. Who. It seems to go berserk whenever i use borderless mode or not use my default resolution. Also seems to happen whenever the windows 10 watermark appears.

Games i Play:

TF2, GMod, KSP (Kerbal Space Program) 

In KSP it will artifact at a seemingly random time.

In GMod it's a bit of the same.

In TF2, it never happens.

Is there any way i can fix it? I got it as a gift for Christmas 2020, so not even 2 months old.

My Monitor is from DELL and i can get the product code if anyone wishes. My Display Cable is DvI to HDMI. (I had used HDMI before and it still artifacted.)

It also crashes KSP whenever it does. Crashing the whole of Unity!

Is it Drivers?  I have the ones you'd get from Device Manager.

I have MSI Afterburner, only to make my fans speed. I also disabled my Integrated GPU.  Although i can foresee people condemning me for that. Would be welcome to do so.

As mentioned above, my fans do not spin. One time i did not realize this, and it got up to 80 Degrees! Yikes!

I would be very pleased, and very thankful for any advice on how to rid this problem! Thank you for the time, and i will respond ASAP.

Sincerely-

12gauge.

0 Likes
11 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

On the surface, seems like a video memory (VRAM) problem. 80 degrees is not that high, most GPUs and CPUs can handle 90-95°C heat for a long while.

Does it happen with different driver versions? Have you tried different PCI-E slot? Have you tried re-enabling build-in graphics? Did you try different video port (second DisplayPort or HDMI)? Also, check the driver config again and make sure no weird options are enabled. 

0 Likes

First of all, i would like to thank you for replying to my post. It is of the upmost importance to me.

I only have one PCI-E Slot x16, as this is a Micro ATX.

I have installed Drivers from AMD's Site in the past, and it would still artifact.

I shall try re-enabling the I-GPU.

Sorry to bother, what do you mean by "driver config" Is this an AMD Software thing? Or can i find it on Windows?

Thanks, Sincerely-

12gauge.

0 Likes

Yes, the AMD software, the driver control panel, whatever this menu you go to from pressing right mouse button on desktop is called.

Just for confirmation, did that system have a different dedicated GPU previously or is it freshly assembled? If there was other stuff in it before, you might try DDUing (use application called Display Driver Uninstaller or AMD driver removal software). 

A perfect solution would be testing the videocard in a different PC, if you have it or if you have friends / family who have a computer with good enough power supply. Your problem is a bit different from majority in that it doesn't just loose signal (blackscreen), BSOD or reboot, and it has same glitch in a variety of conditions (games / driver versions), and the strange shape / color artifacts under such conditions usually point to defective VRAM, but "usually" is not "certainly", it might be a software / connectivity problem. 

Even though it's hard to do it wrong, make sure the power connectors are well fit into the slots of the GPU, and that it is well-fit into the PCI-E slot.

0 Likes

Oh i am a fool, i forgot to list my PSU.

It's a Silverstone Strider Essential 600W.

I recently reset my PC because not only clutter but just to get a whole new perspective. (I didn't have anything too important on there.) I built my PC without a DGPU in June. It was the same PC except without dual channel RAM and the SSD and GPU.

I used Ubuntu on it before. I had to switch due to issues.

You mentioned below a connectivity problem, may you abbreviate on that. I'm interested to know, and interested to know anything to help me.

Thank you, sincerely-

12gauge.

0 Likes

If you look through the discussion, you might find some people having random black screens for no reason - some went as far as assume this happens between certain brands of monitors and modern AMD GPUs. That is what I called a connectivity issue - although there is no proof of that being true. It would've been more correct to call it compatibility issue, but whatever. 

0 Likes

Another i forgot to note is that whenever the GPU Artifacts, it goes to a blackscreen and comes back to Windows.

0 Likes

Ordinarily, it happens when the VRAM is overclocked too much. The screen artifacts and the driver crashes, sending you to desktop, but usually there should be an error message of driver crash.

0 Likes

The ASUS Core Clock is 1360, i lowered it down to 1327. The VRAM is 2000Mhz i believe.

0 Likes

I didn't mean you overclocked it, it might be defective as is, the symptoms are the same, though. Does it have warranty? If yes, take it to the service and explain the situation, show them pictures / video of artifacts. They'll have to test it, so that you'll know if it's the GPU fault or not.

0 Likes

IMG_20210116_125212_1.jpg

This is an example of when i played HOI4 one day.

0 Likes

Looks like bad video memory by pure visual impression. Here are some examples.

https://www.google.com/search?q=video+memory+artifacts&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwidg9nEo9ruAhUID-wKHarTB4k...

0 Likes