cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

New Sapphire RX 580 Nitro Reboots Computer When Gaming

Hi. I've a custom-built desktop computer I built in 2016, which I use to play games at 1080p. I recently bought a brand new Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ graphics card and installed it yesterday. I bought it to replace my old Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, which died during a move (RIP). The rest of the parts in my build remained the same. My components are:

ComponentManufacturerPart
CPUIntelCore i5-6500, 3.2 GHz
MotherboardGigabyteGA-B250M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX LGA1151
RAMCrucial16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4-2133
StorageCrucialMX200, 250 GB SSD
StorageWestern DigitalCaviar Blue, 1TB, 3.5", 7200 RPM
CaseCooler MasterN200, MicroATX, Mid Tower Case
Power SupplyEVGASuperNOVA GS, 650W
GPUSapphireRadeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+
Wireless Network CardGigabyteGC-WB867D-I
MonitorAOCE2060SWD (1600x900)
MonitorAcerH236HL (1920 x 1080)

Installation of the card and the drivers went smoothly. The following information is copied from the AMD Radeon Settings program, under the "System -> Overview" panel:

• Radeon Software Version - 18.9.3
  • Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
  • Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 580 Series
  • Memory Size - 8192 MB
  • Memory Type - GDDR5
  • Core Clock - 1411 MHz
  • Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
  • System Memory - 16 GB
  • CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

I also run two programs, RivaTuner Statistics Server and HWInfo64. I use these only to monitor my GPU temperature, CPU temperature, and FPS in games via an overlay.

My problem is that my computer reboots after 10-15 minutes of playtime on Dishonored 2. using "medium" display settings. When I played a few games of Heroes of the Storm on ultra settings, however, I don't have any problems. In both games I capped the FPS to 60 (which is what I normally do, since I don't have 144 Hz monitors). These are the only 2 games I tested. I'm sure that Dishonored 2 is more demanding than Heroes of the Storm, so I'm not surprised there. But I'm still surprised because my old R9 390 card could handle Dishonored 2 just fine. That's what's so puzzling about this. When I was researching GPUs, I read that the RX 580 was about the same as an R9 390, but slightly better.

My first thought was that this is an overheating problem. But I'm so surprised that overheating could be a possibility, because the maximum CPU temperature I see is ~53 C, and the maximum GPU temperature I see is ~70 C. These are just the maximum values, and not the averages. But these temperatures don't seem high at all! And as I said, I'm capping the FPS and running Dishonored 2 at "medium" settings!

My second thought was that this could be PSU problem. I read this thread where the user seemed to have the same problem as me. But I don't understand how this could be the problem because I also read that the RX 580 uses less power than the R9 390. Again, I've not changed my PSU from when I bought it 2.5 years ago. And when I bought it then, I made sure to buy one that was over the necessary required power; my PSU supports 650 Watts. So I would think that if my PSU could handle an R9 390, it should be able to handle the RX 580, no?

My third thought is that it could be something with the core clock / overclocking. I read that apparently a lot of others have similar problems with this card, and that perhaps it could be because Sapphire apparently overclocked this card slightly, to 1411 MHz (which is what shows in my Radeon Settings). Now, I do not like overclocking. I've always been leery of it, even with my old R9 390, which I never overclocked). I'm a fairly casual gamer, and I don't like to mess around and tweak fan curves, power settings, etc. So I've been running this card as is, out of the box, which is how I like it. But if the default settings themselves are "tweaked", should this be a cause of concern? Would I need to change anything from the default settings?

I haven't tested any other games. Any help would be most welcome!

0 Likes
29 Replies