cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

johnnykeys
Adept I

New RX6700XT major issues - blackscreen & 'static' for every 8 seconds out of 10

Hi everyone

Yesterday a new RX6700XT arrived, and after about 16 hours of trial and error, researching forums, and trying different operating systems, I am worried this particular card may have problems.

Symptoms: 1) Boot up - no post (black screen) about 50% of attempts

2) When it does post, it goes onto the windows logo for a while, then either black screens again or continues to windows login.

3) If windows does successfully load, there is an extremely unuseable situation where the screen will be either black or static (rainbow colored analog-looking static) for about 8 seconds out of 10, then repeat. This occurs for all resolutions.

4)Linux (latest kernels) will not recognize the GPU and only uses software rendering (amd-pro-install script used)

Setup: ga-p67a-ud3-b3 Motherboard
Intel© Core i7-2600
16GB RAM Antec 650w PSU
The card is a Gigabyte RX6700XT Gaming OC 12G

Things I have tried already:
Cleaning PCI slot and reseating. Swapping for another card - NV GTX 750 works perfectly.

I am unable to test the card in a another computer, there is only laptops and other desktops with small PSUs here. Please help, I am happy to send any further information requested.
Best, John
7 Replies
johnnykeys
Adept I

Update...

I have discovered the flickering / static issue (which includes audible 'pops' through the monitor speakers) can be reduced (but not eliminated) by changing the monitor's HDMI EDID mode. The improvement is about 99%. Now it only happens once a minute or so, for less than a second. Perhaps that is an issue with the monitor? I have never experienced this issue with this monitor for any other GPUs. Unfortunately there are no other monitors available to check.

It also seems to solve the fail-to-post issue.

Combining EDID problem and the no linux driver problem had lead me to think the card may have an issue, however now I am leaning more towards there being just a problem with the linux drivers (and my monitor).

Surely it can't be drivers though... it is the very first operating system listed on the box! Linux! This is indeed the reason I decided on team red... more compatible with linux.

I shall continue investigating but more and more I feel like this is a driver issue.

Best,

John

0 Likes

Update 2

Apart from the occasional short fuzzy dropout (which could be the monitor, but it never happened for other gpus), the GPU seems to work as intended under windows.

Here is where it gets really strange: upon a reboot, even from a cold start, the display is now... green. Specifically, all the blacks have turned green - the blacker the greener. Like a tint. This even includes the boot screen and BIOS.

When windows loads up this behavior stops and everything is normal.

However when continuing into any linux, the green remains. Everything is just... green. Ugh.

This wasn't happening when the card was first installed - only now since exiting windows.

I have found only one other reference to this behavior, but that card was returned as defective.

I have tried the color profiles RGB full limited etc. No change.

Has anyone ever encountered this?

0 Likes

Update 3

The green tint goes away after a really, really cold start. More than 30 seconds.

Initially, the first distro attempt was ubuntu, then mint, then fedora, then ubuntu again. Now on the 2nd ubuntu attempt it seems to have worked (with the amdgpu-pro-install script, I don't know what I did differently the 2nd time around)

However the OpenCL does not function. Research has shown this to be a common problem for other users. This is a problem as the purpose of this card is Blender.

Has anyone gotten opencl to work on their RX6700XT?

the output from clinfo is:

umber of platforms 1
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Version OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3314.0)
Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback
Platform Extensions function suffix AMD

Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices 0

NULL platform behavior
clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...) No platform
clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...) No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default] No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other] No platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL) No devices found in platform

0 Likes
CrustyCat
Adept I

First of all, the mobo is old.  It hasn't had a bios update in what?  8 years?  And the last one was the UEFI bios which I believe you have to have.  The GTX 750 is a low power card and is also old.  If you have a different desktop with a newer mobo, swap out the psu with this one and see if it works.

0 Likes

Hi CrustyCat,

Thankyou for taking the time out of your day to read, research, and reply to my post.

You are indeed correct, the mobo is old. The good news is I seem to have got everything working as intended, except for openCL on linux - and am about to attempt the solution found here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1336913/opencl-not-working-with-rx-6700-xt

If it works I shall mark this thread as solved.

As mentioned in a previous post, I do not have access to another desktop computer capable of substituting this one for testing. I live... rural. I certainly would have done that already otherwise.

Again thankyou for your time,  I hope the next post is a resolution

Great, I hope it works out for you.

0 Likes

Thankyou kindly

Well, still no luck getting opencl to co-operate, and research shows I'm certainly not alone for this manner.

Also, the occasional no post upon boot still occurs.

When it does post and boot succesfully, it passes the stress test in windows.

I, among others, hope to see an updated driver stack soon! one that co-operates with linux as well as that... other brand does.

Best,

John