cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jpm2901
Adept I

NEW RX CARDS CRASHING

Hi all, just registered as am a first time purchaser of an RX 6900 XT.have been with Nvidia for 20 years but couldnt resist the new Radeon bang for buck.My new card kept resetting.several times in one game.Have solved the problem so thought would pass it on just in case anybody else is having a similar issue.my card wasnt getting the power it needed so i changed the settings on my corsair 1200 ax to single rail (was on multi-rail).the card has not crashed once since!.Hope this helps some other users.

John

12 Replies
ramenrider
Adept II

You can change settings? 

0 Likes

Hi Ramenrider,

You can change the settings within corsair software called Corsair Link.Go to the PSU icon and change to single rail.Im not sure if standard PSUs have this option.with my setup, the PSU is modular and i have a multi power lead (2 x 8 pin connections) to the radeon, so it gets all its power from 1 lead.If i had 2 x 8 pin separate leads connected then multi rail would probably work.So, if youre using a single power lead to the card then the psu needs to send its AMP load to this lead instead of sharing it across all 12v rails (multi-rail).I found this fix by trial and error and would have probably sent the card back if i hadnt sorted it.Im assuming its a flaw in the wattman in AMD drivers but who knows.Anyway hope this helps :-)

That's neat. Probably a Corsair based feature as I've never heard of this setting.

Further research suggests that there is no reason to be off the Single Rail mode.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/psu-with-switch-between-single-and-multi-rail.251710/

0 Likes

some people dont like it as they think its dangerous.and im being serious...think it will burn the pc down or something.corsair wouldnt have it as an option if it wasnt a design feature.hope it helped you if your card kept crashing...

0 Likes

hi, so you put 1 lead (8pin) with the 2 conectors to the power of the card? normaly you use 2 seperate powercables to min. overpowering to the cable (can be melted or your powersupply can be overheated and switch-off (safety)). Wath is your Power of your Supply ? you need min. 750W or better 850W depending on your system, sometimes even more.  

0 Likes

Hi mac,

my psu is a corsair HXi 1200 (not the ax as previously stated..).I have 1 lead with 2x8 pin power connectors straight from the psu to radeon on single rail.its absolutely fine and my card doesnt crash any more.I would add though that if you overclock your system (cpu or ram) then single rail is a more stable option for the card.I can only tell you what has worked for me.In relation to the burning of cables...its a myth, unless the psu is actually faulty.Like i said, ppl panic at the thought of using it.its quite safe and actually endorsed by corsair as a design feature.Ultimately though its down to the individual to decide based on their own preference.

FYI it is always best to use a second lead instead of the two on one cable. For exactly the reason that happened to you. While this is widely known among enthusiasts it likely not known by most end users. Plus most power supplies are not configurable as yours is. Glad you got it working and thanks for the share. 

0 Likes

Hi pokester,

thanks for the input.however, for all those on here who are new to the concept of psu rails, please watch this video.Hope it clears things up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWtKSHT2od8

0 Likes
sixtday
Adept I

Hello, my system : 

Ryzen 9 3900x

Msi MeG x570 Ace

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 1.35v

PowerColor Radeon™ RX 6900 XT

HDD - WD Red 8TB

nzxt kraken x72 , 2 x 200 mm , 3 x120 mm , 1 x140 mm 

Super Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

It works very well even with 6900 xt / 2700 MHz oc .

0 Likes

did you had your old Nvidia installed in this machine?
did you cleaned old Nvidia driver with DDU in safe-mode?
did you try to disable XMP?
did you do a CMOS reset and leave everything to auto?
did you updated Win10 to 20H2?
did you considered a fresh Win10 20H2 install?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Hi Benman,

my spec is below:

i9 7960 x (@ 4.4ghz)

64gb ddr4 corsair rgb 3600

radeon 6900xt

3 x sata 3 hd (total 16tb)

tv tuner card

blu ray burner

h150i aio cooler

hx 1200i corsair psu

As you can see these add up in terms of wattage, hence my initial post regards psu rails.i posted that first thread as i had solved my issue with gpu resetting and thought it may help someone else.I no longer have an issue so dont need to go through the check list you provided, but many thanks for the input.Oh and it was a fresh win10 install and i could never disable xmp.i dont fancy trying to clock my ram manually to its manufacturer recommended specs.lol

0 Likes

Hi Sixtday,

if you are running a 6900xt on a 650 then you have an excellent psu.considering AMD recommends an 850w!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ju3hzh/68006900_xt_power_requirements/

0 Likes