cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

utkucemdk
Adept I
Adept I

New RX 590 crashes my PC. Buzzing sound then no signal.

So I bought a new GPU that is Sapphire RX590 Nitro+SE and it is crashing my pc. When im 5-20 min into a game a buzzing sound comes from speakers and no signal on monitor. But fans keep spinning. PC is still running but with no display and its frozen. And I've seen some people have the same issue with this GPU.

Thermaltake Litepower 650W.

4GB+4GB+8GB 1600 MHz vengeance ram. (tried one by one on different sockets)

FX8320 @4Ghz (tried stock 3.5ghz)

3HDD 1 SSD  (tried all 1 by 1. they're not the issue i'm 100%sure.)

Gıgabyte GA-970a-d3(tried reseating all cables coming from PSU)

PROBLEM: Sapphire RX590 Nitro+SE

*Tried both PCI-E Sockets.

*It is seated correctly tried reseating twice on both PCI-E sockets.

*Cleaned PCI-E Sockets with 100% alcohol. They're probably right now more hygenic than my kitchen.

*Tried last beta 19.1.1 driver and 18.12.2 driver on clean windows.

*Tried plugging to another Power supply 600W.

*Tried running FurMark. At %100  activity PC doesn't crash. But one time when I got bored and pressed ESC in one of the tests to stop, PC crashed.

*Clocks are not OC'd running at default values.

Anyone able to solve this problem ? PC runs without problem when I'm not playing games doesn't matter time. In games theres nothing weird no lag 60 fps ultra graphics in Total war Warhammer 2 for example. Anything comes to mind ? I'm not gonna send this to RMA yet. Takes too much time and I wanna play some games I was deployed for 6 months didn't even touch a PC.

Btw the PC doesn't restart when it crashes. It just sits with no signal on monitor, fans spinning and numlock light on on keyboard. I have to restart It myself.

47 Replies
mallone163
Adept I
Adept I

Re: New RX 590 crashes my PC. Buzzing sound then no signal.

Exactly the same problem, but with Sapphire RX580 Nitro+. No signal after 30+ minutes of heavy games, furmark works fine under 100% load but sometimes crashes on exit (also happens while exiting games). Tried same stuff OP mentioned:

*Another PSU

*Both PCI-E Slots

*Messing with wattman settings. Pushing power limit to +50%, decreasing to -50%, underclocking core and memory.

*Updated MB BIOS to latest

*Updated other drivers to latest, tried DDU clean install for AMD drivers.

The interesting thing is, i tried to RMA this card, but vendor, after testing, did not found any problems with it.

Would be nice to hear some official comments on this topic, because this kind of problem occurs pretty often on this forum, as far as i can see.

neerd7
Adept I
Adept I

Hi, I have the exact same problem. are you using the xfx fatboy 590 too? Have you found out a fix for this?

utkucemdk
Adept I
Adept I

Alright I managed to solve the problem. Not going to send the card to RMA even though I just bought it few days ago and I could've replaced it. I don't think its a hardware issue. Not that I have a solid proof but a hunch coming from years of pc hardware experience.

So after installing a stable driver 18.11.2 I changed Fan and Temperature settings to manual and changed them as  the picture I tagged here. (zero rpm on)

After that I played demanding games on ultra 1080p graphics. I left them on benchmark or middle of the mission when I wasn't near PC probably for 8 hours with zero problem. no lag no stutter. I was watching Wattman monitor too btw. Activity at 100% at some of the games.(I was scared of CPU bottlenecking this card) GPU at 1560 Mhz clock at 2100 mhz.

*HITMAN 2. FIFA 19. Total War Warhammer II. Call of Duty WWII.

The problem was GPU crashing the system after 70C degrees for some reason. I'm assuming its a software issue because if this card was faulty it couldn'tve played 8 hours of games on ultra. If there was a hardware issue card would've crashed or stuttered etc along the way. Post replies here if this solves your problem too.

Fan.JPG

neerd7
Adept I
Adept I

have you tested ac odyssey? if so please do leave the results, i.e: if there's any crashing at all...

0 Kudos
utkucemdk
Adept I
Adept I

Alright I was wrong. Same crash while watching youtube and installing a game at the same time. I guess the variable is not temperature causing the problem.

I'm lost. How much gpu can youtube use?

0 Kudos
mallone163
Adept I
Adept I

I'll share my findings:

Someone on this forum mentioned that crash seems to happen while gpu is switching from state to state. So, i changed last 3 states in wattman to the same value (1340 in my case). It fixed gpu crashing under heavy load, but there was one more problem - gpu crashing AFTER heavy load (Like exiting a game or a benchmark.) Setting state 1 or 2 as minimal state and pushing powerplimit to +50% seem to resolve this problem, but im not yet 100% sure. I will do more testing later.

(Also, is there any chance you are using some kind of adapter to connect to monitor?)

0 Kudos
utkucemdk
Adept I
Adept I

Yes I'm connected to monitor with a cheap vga to dvi adapter.

Also yea the crash from the change explains why my pc crashed not while heavy load testing but when i pressed esc to stop the test.

0 Kudos
mallone163
Adept I
Adept I

Well then, im also using adapter, but in my case its hdmi-vga.

Check this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/af07on/display_turns_off_while_gaming_help/

Seems like that could be a root of a problem. I will borrow another monitor from a friend in a few days and run some tests without adapter.

utkucemdk
Adept I
Adept I

Actually that might be the problem now that i think. Explains shutting down while playing youtube today. And a movie 2days ago. I'm waiting for your test. Keep me posted cause even tho i got a few friends close with monitors none of them use hdmi ones.

0 Kudos