cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

masteroguitar
Journeyman III

new rx 5700 doesnt work, is it doa or am I crazy? I need some help please

I just got the rx 5700 xt today and went to install it. here's what I did from start to finish.

removed all my Nvidia drivers.

installed new card and it didn't display anything. 

put Nvidia card back in and checked if my windows was up to date, it was. checked my bios settings and it was outdated so I used the gigabyte app center to use @bios to update to bios 31. put in the amd card again and it still didn't work.

ive put in a lot of time to get this thing to work and Im at a loss and I don't have onboard graphics to play around while the card is plugged in. when I put my last card in it just worked and I installed the drivers. now I cant even get it to display anything right from the start, not even the boot logo, my screen doesn't even see that there is a signal.

here are my pc specs

OS windows 10

motherboard. GA AB350- GAMING 3

processor. Ryzen 7 1700

Ram corsair vengeance 3200 2 8 gb sticks

power supply 600 w 

hard drive micron 1 tb ssd

there is only one thing I can think of that could possibly be the answer to my problems but I doubt it, and its that the card requires a 8pin and a 6 pin connector and all I have are 2 8 pin connectors connected to separate outputs on the power supply. could that be it? lack of power? I don't know, any help would be appreciated

0 Likes
8 Replies
alseu
Challenger

Hello!
Can you please type the model of your power supply?
Did you use 8 pin + 6 pin part of the second connector? Or did you connect only one 8 pin?

0 Likes

The model number is:

Cooler master RS-600-AMBA-D3.

the first connector was a 6 with another 2 and the other cable was the same I used the 6 and just left the extra 2 hanging there so I had a total of 8 + 6

0 Likes

That power supply real max power output for 12v line is 480w and anyway it is absolutely enough for your system and especially to power it on at idle state.
You can try to swap 8pin and 6 pin cables (use cable that you connected to 8 pin socket to the right and another one to the 8pin socket).
Also if possible try to run this gpu on a another known to work well system

But it looks like a DoA card for me

0 Likes

I tried switching the cables and it still didn’t work, so I put my 1660 ti back in and restarted it twice to test both cables and both of them powered the card so I don’t know what’s wrong, in reply to another comment unfortunately I don’t have or know anyone with another rig I can test it on so I contacted newegg and requested a replacement. If I get the new one and it works then we can know if it was just a dead card I will report back next week with an answer or just more questions. Thank you.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You must test the graphics card on a different system. If you get the same result, look for your consumer rights. (Varies from country to country.)

0 Likes
masteroguitar
Journeyman III

Ok, as I said I would update when I got the card here we go. I have a new card that just showed up. Same problem. I’m at a loss.

0 Likes

You probably have PCI-Ex x16 port problem or UEFi BiOS problem.

0 Likes
masteroguitar
Journeyman III

i did eventually figure it out, at first i thought it was my power supply. it was rated at 650 so i went and bought another one at 750 and that still didnt solve it. i did notice though that when i started my pc all the lights came on, and i would eventually hear windows sounds so i figured it was the graphics card. here was the solution, my monitor that i was using was a little bit old. manufactured in 2010, it was an old 1080p monitor. i decided to go out on a whim and plug it into my new samsung 4k tv. and the graphics card worked. i was able to start windows, install video drivers, everything. i then un plugged my tv and tried my old monitor, same thing no signal. for some reason it just didnt like my monitor. i went to best buy and got a lg 4k monitor for 180$ and havent had a problem since. the reason i know it was my old monitor is because when i use my new monitor and plug in my old one as a secondary screen it will work, but it is stuck in like 240x480 resolution, with nowhere in windows or the amd settings to change it. i have no idea what the heck happened, but that is the jist of it. try a newer model screen and see what happens. or go buy one and if it still doesnt work then return it. 

0 Likes