cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mobbsy00
Adept I

New RX 570 dead?

Recently I ordered an ASUS RX 570 4GB card to replace my old EVGA GTX 770. The old card was dying and kept on crashing to desktop in some games, or it would black screen and speed up the fans. I safely assumed they were signs of a dead card and ordered a new one.

Today the new card arrived and I used DDU to wipe the old drivers. I replaced the card and installed new drivers. It worked fine, managed to play No Man's Sky for a while. Later, I launched my flight sim (P3D V4) to test how it runs. Upon pulling back on the joystick and getting airborne, my PC shut down and monitor had no signal. It was a little weird so I unplugged it and drained the power from the motherboard then plugged it in and switched it on. The fans moved a little and the power light came on for a second but stopped and didn’t power.

I unplugged the new GPU and used the onboard graphics, the BIOS corrupted but the restore BIOS recovered it and it worked fine.. I tested the old card and it worked too, pulled that out and plugged in the 570 again and double checked the connections. Pressed the power button and the PC didn’t turn on.

I tried the latest BIOS update but it was from 2014 and didn't fix the issue. Even reset the CMOS but no success.

Should I send the card back for warranty or could it be a problem other than a faulty GPU? I do have a weird old motherboard but because the old GPU works I suspect it’s not the problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Sorry for leaving this open. It turns out the card was faulty and was exchanged under warranty.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

The computer shutting down is indicative of a power supply problem.

0 Likes

I know the Litepower isn't the best PSU there is but for what it's running it shouldn't encounter any issues. The only other components i have connected are 2 case fans, 1 cpu cooling fan and a 2usb hub case panel. The PSU is less than a year old so it shouldn't be suffering from any aging issues.

The thing that leans me away from a suspected power supply problem is that the GTX 770 runs fine and needs more power draw than the RX 570.

I can power the computer if I leave the 8 pin graphics power connector unplugged and run off onboard graphics. I believe it may be a fault in the graphics card, possibly a short within the card. I'll send it back for warranty though just to make sure.

0 Likes

And what does AIDA64 say your +12v voltage is under a load? Anything less than 11.91v and it's the PSU. +3.3 and +5 as well though they are minor contributors.

0 Likes

Annotazione 2018-12-23 014407.jpg

calculates that I bought the rx570 and the sharnook wpc 650 so it's all new, the rx570 nn the pc emits 10 beeps that my bios says that and replace the backup battery 
but replaced nothing to do, I have a shappire pure platinum with an a8 -3850 16 gb ddr3 crucial and the motherboard and power supply above mentioned, aida now in
the picture and without the card fitted obviously since it does not

black_zion

0 Likes

Sorry for leaving this open. It turns out the card was faulty and was exchanged under warranty.

0 Likes

2018-12-23 (3).png

0 Likes