cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

CurrlyFry1094
Adept II

New PSU for Radeon 7000?

Hey I'm looking to upgrade this year to the Radeon 7000 GPU and was wondering if we would need a PSU with the new 12V connector? I heard rumors that Nvidia new 4000 series melted the cable with the 12V adaptor and the thought of the new graphics cards doing that scares me. So will I need to buy a new PSU?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You'll find out when AMD officially releases info on new cards.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

9 Replies
CurrlyFry1094
Adept II

Edit.

I'm looking into the 7800XT or the 7900XT.

0 Likes
markus7912
Adept II

The RTX 4090 comes with adaper cabel, and it has a chip. The chip detects how much 8 pin 150W cable is connected. It looks 100% safe, at this point.

The burned cabel was RTX 3090 ti cable on the RTX 4090 engiering prototype, before the finel adjustments  happend on the graphic card. All RTX 4090 was sold out on the launch day. Dont buy a GPU if you are forced to replace a 850 - 1200W ( 80+ Patinum or Titanium ) PSU.

The new cable works fine as intended:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmUb9sDS9zw

If any problem occurs , 20 minutes later the entire world knows about that. ( Twitter, Youtube, etc. )

The RDNA3 is not out yet and we dont have any information about them , just some leaked

speculations. Today i heard on the youtube it will be dealyed until mid December.

If the Radeon 7000 comes out, the best thing waiting for the independent Youtubers to test the Card.

Dont trust to any compny performance numbers. It is too early to worrying, until we dont see a single working AMD Graphic card in action. Rasteization / Raytracing , without FSR, witout SAM, without smokes, mirrors and other dirty tricks.

0 Likes

No. The 12V cable burned out again. It looks like not safe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkjUtH4nIE

0 Likes

You'll find out when AMD officially releases info on new cards.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I read up on the 12VHPWR cable and I personally not sure how to feel. 

HW News - Intel Arc Isn't Dead, Melting GPU Power Cables 12VHPWR, & RTX 40 Coolers | GamersNexus - G...

While I do think it is awesome to push 600W with one cable I do feel a little concerned about the fact that they have melted.

I haven't been able to find anything on whether the issues have been fixed or if there was a fault in the manufacturing process of the cables themselves. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Those cables are only rated for around 30 plugs/unplugs IIRC. You might not want to deal with those early adopter issues, bc thats what this is, early adopter s**t. Also, i have not heard any reports of how the GPU side of the connector is affected by this, it could lead to seriously bad RMA situations, where you just get denied bc you plugged in your GPU too many times. 

If radeon gpus also recommend or require those PSUs, I'd wait a bit.

0 Likes

According to TechPowerUp the AMD 7800XT requires a minimum PSU wattage of 700 to run your PC with that new GPU card installed.

So if you have a 850 or stronger PSU it should be good enough to run your new GPU card.

The RX7800XT uses 2 x 8 pin PCIe Power connections (GPU power connections) rated at 300 watts.  So with a high quality PSU of at least 850 watts or higher this shouldn't be a problem. I would look at your PSU Tech specs to see the maximum wattage each 12 volt rails, if it is one or multiple, can take.

EDIT: Didn't realize that the 7000 GPU card haven't come out yet. That is why AMD doesn't have its own webpage for the RX7800XT showing its Specs. So everything above basically rumors.

Goodplay is correct that you will need to wait until its official release to find out its actual specs. But I imagine the above information from TechPowerUp is in the general area.

0 Likes

Also, they over estimate PSU wattages just in case folks have a less than stellar PSU. 

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes

True, AMD and Nvidia is erring on the safe side when it comes to PSU wattages. It is better to have more wattage PSU then one with less.

Beside you also have to consider the CPU which also can draw a huge amount of watts while under heavy loads.

Most likely, both AMD and Nvidia, has some sort of formula to figure out the PSU wattages needed to run a PC with various hardware installed.

EDIT: I forgot to mention a Asian Tech Report I read in the past that explains why the PSU wattage are higher than the actual wattage needed.

Couldn't find the report but you can google GPU Power Transient Spikes.

You need a higher PSU ratings to take in account Power Spikes from the CPU or GPU. These Power spikes can easily be higher than your average PSU maximum rating thus shutting down the computer or have other power issues.

Thus to include possible high Power Spikes PSU need to have a higher rating than actually needed to be able to withstands those types of spikes in power.

0 Likes