New PC crashes in games but not in stress tests - 5700xt main suspect

What is your parts list?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 4 16GB, 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700xt GAMING OC

Adata SSD SX8200 1TB M.2

Seasonic 650w Gold+

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

I built this PC a month or so ago but didn't have much time to actually run any games on it. Everything went smoothly and I got a perfect experience from day one but whenever I try to run a game, my PC would freeze for a couple of seconds or just simply crash and restart after a couple of minutes into the game. I tried a couple of games so far:

1. World of Warcraft - game runs fine but after a couple of minutes it will freeze for 2-3 seconds and then resize my window (it runs in windowed mode). It sometimes just resets my PC but it happens rarely here.

2. Stellaris - game runs for a couple of minutes, then the image starts to flicker (similar to artifacts produced by a faulty graphic card but not exactly) in the top part of the screen followed by crash an PC restart. Windows Log says Kernel-Power 41. I used Stellaris as my trubleshoot benchmark because this crash is easily reproduced.

3. A couple of other games I tried, the experience was rather random, it would go for some time without any problem but then I usually get a restart if I wait long enough.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

• Prime95 stress test - everything stable

• memtest + windows memory testing tool - everything ok

• Furmark and HeavenBenchmark - no issues

• I also run Prime95+Furmark at the same time to check if PSU can handle this - again, no issues

• temperatures are fine at full load: CPU max 67C, GPU max 71C

• I changed Power profile to High Performance

• I disabled quick boot option in Windows

• I did the sfc scan in Windows

• I did the chkdsk /f /r in Windows

• I reseated my graphics card

• I used two sperate PCI cables to power up the GPU instead of one

• I switched PCIe from auto to 3.0 in BIOS

• I moved GPU to another PCIE slot

• I replaced old DisplayPort cable

• I underclocked GPU by 100mhz both core and memory

• I cleared CMOS

• I have latest BIOS on my MBO, latest drivers for everything else. Also did a clear install of GPU drivers with DDU.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

I'd welcome your input here. I really don't know what's causing the issues here. My main suspect is the GPU but then again, it runs through benchmarks and stress tests like a breeze.

0 Likes
2 Replies
muchacho_
Adept I

I decided to try another game, Battlefront 2, and it looks like GPU hardware issue. I'm getting weired texture artifacts in game: 5700xt artifacts - YouTube 

0 Likes

What version of gpu drivers are you running? For me upgrading to the newest BETA version helped. The stable one was nothing but problems and crashes.
With my card, it was the monitoring tool that was the bad guy. Try disable any monitoring tool(afterburner, argus monitor, etc), rgb tool(trdint z rgb control, etc).

0 Likes