cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

BNITRO
Adept II

Re: New 6800 XT Constant Crashes

After completing the BREAK-IN process "7nm takes 10x to break-in compared to 12nm" also VRM can be made of dense materials such as cobalt and other metals meaning they might have to warm up in order for the physical properties to be correct... THEY WILL BE NOISY>>> THIS IS OK they will warm and settle.

65c to 75c is the perfect temp range for all the 6000 series...

RUN FURMARK "LONG TIME MANY TIMES"

RUN RAYTRACING GAMES "JUST SIT THERE OR MAKE A MACRO TO SHAKE THE CAMERA in the lowest frame rate ZONES"

RUN PHYSICS BENCHMARKS IN CONTINUOUS... until the benchmark stops climbing...

MONITOR TEMPS

and this is what u get to play online with...

perfectFPS1080pultra.png

0 Likes
kshutch00
Adept II

My issue was apparent even on cold starts, even in bios.  To me that suggests the problem could not be solved by heat solutions alone.  As well, if my product is still in warranty, sanding the dies may void future issues from being fixed under warranty as the manufacture could claim I created the issue when sanding.  I could be wrong, I guess that wold be defined in the warranty terms per each manufacture.  I would rather exhaust warranty on a new product first anyway.

Though, it did seem to happen worse as more heat was generated, so its possible I guess reapplying thermal pads/paste would have helped.

Giga specifically said a defect in the memory and a power issue were the cause.  While its possible it was poorly cast dies and shoddy thermal applications and they are only saying its not to save face, I would like to think with the evidence of my testing along with theirs, heat is probably not the main factor for my issue.  Had I took the brand new out-of-the-box card apart, voided my warranty, and the issue was in fact bad memory, I would be out the cost of the card.

Personally, I would not recommend anyone take their card apart without checking their warranty terms first and being reasonably sure sanding and thermal reapplication would help their issue.  Being that many post on many sites of this same type of issue have had many solutions from changing the CPU or RAM to changing the PSU or GPU, I think its hard to gather enough evidence that heat solutions are the answer and I would not want to apply that globally to all instances of this problem.  Who knows, maybe in the future we all find out its been shoddy thermals the whole time.

0 Likes
Owennk
Adept I

Hi 

Do you have any references that back up the idea that 65 to 75 is ideal for the 6000 series cards.

I have constant ctds with MSFS and I amn looking for any information that might give me some clue as to what is going on.

At the moment I am running my 6800 at 1800mhz and 940mv and it runs at about 120w and 58degrees.

I thought this might help but it hasn't so far.

Maybe I need to heat it up some more.

0 Likes
Owennk
Adept I

Hi

The idea of breaking in a gpu is new to me. Do you have any sources that I could check this up in more depth.

As I said in my previous question I have been running my 6800 cool. After reading your post I turned it up to 2400mhz and 940mv and backed off on my fan settings. It ran at between 200w and 210w with temps from 60 to 80.

I had a very good flight in MSFS and no ctd which is very unusual for my setup.

What period are you talking about for running in. Perhaps mine hasn't run in at all because I've been keeping it cool with my fan settings.

Any suggestions as to where I might find this sort of info that you regard as reliable.

0 Likes
kshutch00
Adept II

If the claim is that a 6800 card should ALWAYS run in the 65 - 75 range, this claim is likely false and we know this as running the same card being cooled with liquid nitrogen at much lower temps is how people get insane benchmarks.  So the claim, if stated as a "My system runs my card well in the 65-75 range", then that can be true.  Electronics typically run better in cooler conditions than hot conditions because of conduction and heat transfer, which is responsible for slowing down transfers and molecules.

But, what I gather is being said here is the break-in for the thermal pastes and pads.  That is a real thing and it helps the spread.  The whole point of sanding is to lower any angled imperfections in the head (the die surface) and to create more surface area in the form extremely small yet level scratches on the head.  The paste, if applied cool and then ran cool, may never reach a saturation temperature that allows the paste to seep into the head as much as it could or spread on the head as much as it could which results in less surface coverage.  Less surface coverage means less heat transfer.  Less heat transfer means more heat saturation, which in turn means a slower product.

So in the beginning, its a good idea to use some stress to heat it up a bit, maybe even use more stress after that.  Then, turn everything off and let it cool.  After a few repetitions of this, the paste should be set and reached its max surface coverage.  After this, though, the running temp of a device or GPU or CPU has no specific heat range to run in (it does have a max manufacturer tested heat), generally its the colder the better.  But applying paste or pads, and then immediately trying to run a die cool, it could cause less coverage and so could cause more heat saturation.  It should also be said that most modern paste do not suffer from the need to be broken in like older pastes did.  

0 Likes
Owennk
Adept I

That makes sense. Thanks for that.

My card runs very well, fast and cool and the only time I have any problems is when I use MSFS.

It crashes to desktop nearly every time but it is dwm or msfs itself that crashes not usually radeon.

My card idles at just a few watts and in the 30s temperature wise.

I just wish I knew whether the problem is gpu related or MSFS related.

0 Likes
kshutch00
Adept II

Update.

So, I sent my card in on 5-19, they got it 5-28.  On 6-04 the said they tested it and that I would be getting another card.  Then, on 6-19 they changed the "fix date" to 6-19 instead of 6-04. 

Its been about 30 days since then...still nothing.  I called about 2 weeks ago, they said they had no estimate as they did not have any stock to replace my card with.

I will definitely be posting back when I get my card...but...at this point, I have to say this RMA experience has been a very negative one in terms of the time this is taking. 

If anyone else is considering RMA's a 6000 card, get ready for long, long wait.

0 Likes