Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cmorris975
Journeyman III

New 6650 XT runs cool and not benchmarking well

Hi there,

I just replaced my 1070 ti with a new 6650 XT that feels pretty anemic. I tried the userbenchmark site for a quick test and the new card tests in the 9-14% range while the rest of my  system tests far above average. My 1070 ti tested 70+% on that site while installed in the same slot and system. My 3D Graphics Mark from Passmark software on the new card was 9,519. I've read that the average "G3D Mark" for the card is around 16,300, but I'm not sure what the difference between a "3D Graphics Mark" and a "G3D Mark" is (if any).

The new card does get better frame times in VR flight simulators, so that's a plus. Around 3 milliseconds, but that can help with less ghosting of images, so I'll take it. On the other hand, benchmarking with Heaven gets the same or worse results than my old card.

I did try a couple of clean installs of the AMD drivers after running DDU. I also updated my motherboard's BIOS to the most recent. My system is a little old, but it's not that bad: z390 PRIME motherboard with 32 GB of 3200 RAM, 9700k overclocked to 4.8-5.0, NVME 1 TB hard drive and the latest version of Windows 10.

The new card runs really cool too. I used to push my last card quite hard to run VR flight sims and it would often be in the 75-83 degree range. This new card seems to handle overlocks easily but I don't want to push it to ridiculous levels and it still hasn't gone above 66 degrees. Usually it won't break 60 degrees, even with a nice overclock.

I really want to keep the card, but I'm having my doubt as picking up a few more frames in VR isn't worth the $370. Something isn't right - my benchmark scores seem far too low. It should be able to beat my old card on the Heaven benchmark, I would think.

Thanks for reading! And thanks for any input/thoughts too.

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution
scar4u
Adept I

You probably have a custom profile for heaven benchmark in your driver software.

Go to your gaming profile and under heaven becnchmark be sure all addons are off and V-sync set to always off.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
scar4u
Adept I

You probably have a custom profile for heaven benchmark in your driver software.

Go to your gaming profile and under heaven becnchmark be sure all addons are off and V-sync set to always off.

0 Likes

Thanks. That's an interesting idea and I was able to beat my old card's scores by 5-6% in DX11. DX9 still performs the test about 20% worse on the new card.

Best score I've gotten with the 6650 XT: windowed, DX 11 at 1280 x 720, in basic mode = 9969. I've got MSI's afterburner running to overclock with mem speed maxed out (2400). Power limit at +10 and core clock at 2800. The card still only gets up to 66 degrees on the test, so that's pretty good at least.

0 Likes

I think you nailed it. I stopped using the Adrenaline software and just overclocked via MSI Afterburner. I'm getting #D Mark scores around 16550 now. Thanks again!

0 Likes