cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

playboy1234
Adept I

New 19.7.2 driver released. Still not fixed crashes.

New driver release doesn't affect my problem.
My AIDA/WattMan sensors stop responding and freezes when im playing Apex Legends. After few minutes my whole pc/game freezes too. I see my mouse cursor and could move it but cant do more things. I just hold my "power" pc button to force shutdown it.
i7 - 4770k @4,25 (tried stock settings too, @3,5)
Asus z 87-k
16gb DDR3 @1600
rx 5700XT
PSU Zalman 700wt

What i have done (nothing helped so far):
1) Installed fresh windows
2) Reinstalled new and old driver several times (like 8-10 times already) with DDU or manual or safemode DDU
3) Undervolted (auto and manual)
4) Boosted (auto and manual)
5) Installed with amd settings/ without amd settings, auto-detect or exact driver
6) Tried to switch on/off sync's, VSR, Overlay
7) Reconnected my GPU from different PSU lines
8) Updated BIOS to latest version

Also i tried to stress test my system with AIDA, and it easily passed with no issues
11mins of stress test (today with new driver and minimum undervolt/cooling modded):
graphic core voltage: 1,062v
graphic mem voltage: 0,850v
SoC: 0,850v
Temp: 70-72C
Hotspot: 87-89C
Maximum RPM: 2750 (55%) - little bit noisy but still usable
Maximum power: 162WT (was 203 before driver update, pretty strange)
After that test i came to play Apex Legends and i got a blackscreen like in 5 minutes

Also i changed rx 5700 XT to my old GTX 960 and it works like a charm with not a single issue, but lower graphics of course

p.s. i wrote a big letter to support with all my steps and after 3 days they answered like:
- Did you upgrade your bios? - Did you reinstall you driver?
srsly wat? me no potato and i wrote all of that in my first letter, why you asking again?
Im little bit angry, sorry for that
35 Replies
redcisco
Adept II

I feel your pain....

AMD 3900X

Asrock X570

5700XT

I followed all instructions for installation of the new driver 19.7.2 and I cannot find many improvements over 19.7.1 except a small margin of better stability when i run Unigine Benchmark and Wattman seems to not be as buggy but had to go to sleep after messing with the system for hours last night.

Temps are the same in testing and benchmarking is the same for me.

I have also tried many of the methods you listed above. In fact, i had to roll back to more stable bios on my motherboard because the latest version caused more stability issues.

I am still experiencing the same shutdown issues as before.

After work today i will give it more time and energy but the drivers seem to be a very small step forward.

0 Likes
playboy1234
Adept I

Okay guys looks like i got some kind of stability.
1) DDU and reinstall driver again
2) Turn off AMD Overlay by disabling it in Overlay settings (not just deleting key combination as it said in guides)
3) Do not load any soft which would use sensors (AIDA for example)
4) Do not alt+tab
5) Do not load any programs/browser which could cause notifications
6) Play in full screen mode (not windows borderless)
That worked for me, played few hours and didn't get any crashes/freezes yet
maybe just lucky, but was crashing like 5 times per hour before i tried that
0 Likes

Has your system been working fine after posting this? Because I'm going to give this a try.

0 Likes
overclock3r
Adept I

Same here

3900X

AsRock X370

5700XT

This new driver did literally nothing. Constant crashes, they didn't do anything about the multi display problem they have. So frustratiing. Hope they don't take another 2 weeks for 19.7.3 >.>

3600x / 5700xt - I had instant issues installing 19.7.2 from the Adrenaline program (using simple and then tried clean which is SUPPOSED to DDU but apparently doesn't?), however once I DDU'd myself and installed the 420mb file from Amd.com I am no longer crashing. Have you tried to install the driver from amd.com itself?

0 Likes
patent122
Adept II

I have similiar problem in BO4 with 5700XT. Driver will slowsly start crashing after playing for a while. It will make windows static, freeze the taskbar finally causing the game to freeze and give me black screen. Once this happenes I can only restart my PC with power button. This issues only exist in this game. I also tried everything you listed and even more. I'm fighting 4th day to make this game work but nothing helps. I don't know if I should wait for better drivers or just refund this card and grab RTX 2070...

I crashed last night after a longer-than-usual gaming session (4 hours or so).  I started getting intermittent black screen flickers, and fps slowed to a crawl here and there.  It seemed any time the fan would ramp up, the screen would flicker more (mind you freesync is off, so these are dropped frames, not freesync flickers).  I think its clear there is a problem with the power management/fan curve in the stock firmware.  I'm not sure whether it was improved going from 19.7.1 to 19.7.2, but the card simply gets too hot for its own good and crashes after a while.  I've ordered an EKWB cooler in the hopes that my theory is correct:

https://www.ekwb.com/news/bend-the-rules-with-the-special-edition-of-ek-vector-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gpu...

If running cooler helps, then at least we'll know cards with upgraded coolers will be "safe".  I'll add this to my coolant loop ASAP and report back.

On that note, has anyone installed a cooler like the Accelero Xtreme and seen any improvement?

0 Likes

I ordered one of those special edition blocks as well, but already planned to water cool mine so hopefully this will also help. I'm convinced the crashes are due to over heating when the fan doesn't ramp up when it should.

0 Likes
naj75
Journeyman III

Had the same issue - this worked for me:

1. Uninstall with DDU

2. Restart

3. Open Device-Manger

4. Update Display Driver manually from 19.7.2 extracted installation folder (i.e. c:\amd\....) - Don't start setup.exe or install Adrenaline Software

5. Restart

Switched from Nvidia - really not the best first impression

Also done this yesterday and so far no issues. 

MSI Afterburner operates fine and detects all GPU info including temp and usage and manages fan curve just fine.

I will add that I'm using Afterburner 4.6.2 (Beta 1) not the current public released 4.6.1

0 Likes

I don't have the option to manually update to the 19.7.2 driver with the installing folder. 

0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

I just got mine today, 5700 xt, i instaly downloaded the 19.7.2 and went on to download games, but when i tried to play them, it crashed with an error, so i tried to updating it via device manager, to my surprise it started updating. I tried to play my games again for about 30mins it worked perfect, so i checked what version it was on, and that was 19.7.1, and wanted me to updating to 19.7.2, but i guess i wont do that. Lol

0 Likes

How were you able to check the driver version?

0 Likes
jonaidas
Journeyman III

Hi

I have the same problem....but with a Ryzen 3 2200 G. I already installed Windows 10 Professional version 1903 and everything works ok, until I tried to install drivers from AMD. When I installed a driver it freezes and my PC starts to reboot then. and also I updated my motherboard Bios to the last version. 

0 Likes

welcome to hte club

i think 50% returned money already

0 Likes
renner
Adept II

Yeah, the system started going apes**t for me. Vega 64 Crossfire and Threadripper. Mostly after I enabled the CF to bench some games lately. Gears randomly crashed, had weird performance. Even at desktop watching movies I had crashes.I Installed the latest 19.7.2 just now, and its even worse in most regards. Performance with CF is a lot better now in GoW4 benchmark, tho. But after it ends its black screen and wattman resets the settings, which were already at the default. ReLive isn't installed at all, and there's no option to enable it. I'm thinking to clean up my system completely.

0 Likes

Alrighty then, I did as the dude suggested. manually updated the driver from the device manager, and completed the gow4 bench with no issues. I do not have any Adrenaline goodies, tho. That may have to wait for the better release…

0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

Just played some division 2 without any problems, but i turned it off, cuz i think it was to hot it was up to 94• and junction temp was 112

but it might Also be cuz of the insane weather here, its crazy hot

0 Likes

Is your power level above +7 ?

0 Likes
scarceloot
Adept III

Another update - I had to reinstall windows to my MX500 SSD because of WHEA PCIe 17 errors and BSODing so bad it forced me into a boot loop that Windows couldnt fix itself and using a USB drive wouldnt repair itself.

It turns out the issue is with my Samsung 970 EVO Plus (Or potentially a Windows 10 bug) having PCIe driver issues due to the M2 slot on the board. Apparently the only fix for this is to get to AGESA 1.0.0.3AB and all X570 MSI motherboards are on 1.0.0.3A. OR by moving the M2 to a slot that supports both SATA and PCIe Reddit thread discussing this

0 Likes
deadshot1982
Adept I

I've discovered that using any fps overlay causes it to crash. Try taking without an overlay and see if it crashes. You don't need to undervolt just set the gpu boost to 2100 and power no higher than +7 and you're good. It will boost around 2050 under 200W.

0 Likes
redcisco
Adept II

I have always been a fan of AMD and want them to do well, to bring competition to Intel and Nvidia. However, why are there so many driver issues and if you have an X570 board you experience even more issues? People want to enjoy the products but with this many issues it is hard to be a fan. I have two 5700xt cards, both have many of the issues listed here and I have been updating drivers and bios and following instructions from forums and AMD tech support for two months now. I have yet to have a completely stable configuration like I do on my Intel and Nvidia systems. I will keep trying but still having issues with latest drivers 19.9.1, I have returned one 5700XT card and an Asrock motherboard and had some improvement with newer models however there are still issues.

0 Likes

Try power at +7 nothing over 7 and don't use any fps overlay and see if that helps. Don't undervolt either.

0 Likes

I have the 5700xt and a x570 mobo, and yet, no issues here. 

0 Likes

I think a lot of people are being aggressive with the power leading to a lot of these issues. In doing this you must have an ample psu 650 or higher. If you use the default power of 0 it draws like 180W.

0 Likes

What processor are you using?

0 Likes

Ryzen 5 3600

0 Likes

My issues have been between the motherboard and GPU drivers. I talked with a tech support agent at Micro Center and he suggested that some people are experiencing these issues because they were using an ASUS X570 motherboard. I don't want to spread fire, but I tested my system on a used X570 ROG Strix motherboard and didn't have any issues for a whole day. If it were a motherboard issue could it also be a processor issue as well? I know it sounds stupid, but I've tested this on my ASUS Crosshair VI with the Ryzen 7 2700X (which started having problems when the new drivers came out and when I bought the 5700) and upgraded to the Crosshair VIII and I'm still having issues.

0 Likes

Im using ref 5700 xt (toying with the fan speed, so it wont become a toaster )

Ryzen 5 3600

msi x570 a-pro

Just today i have been playing apex all morning ( around 5hours ) and switch to Ghost Recon breakpoint when beta was released, no problems at all

0 Likes

I'm curious of what your power limit is at?

0 Likes

The only thing i have touched is fan speed, because a few weeks ago i saw some1 say, that the fan speed is too low, it need to be around 40-50% increase around 70°
havent played with any power, undervolt or anything like that, cuz i know nothing about it

0 Likes

And i do use overlay and have nothing disable

0 Likes

Which overlay are you using?

0 Likes

The one from amd and using every fps counter (steam, play, origin)

0 Likes

The ones that monitor seem to be causing me problems.

0 Likes