cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Need info about chopped-off capacitor on HD 7970

Dear AMD support-team,

I am writing this email because I need some information of one particular component on the PCB of a XFX Double D HD 7970 with the OG AMD-layout.

The reason for this is because I wanted to install this GPU (my old one, has been stored in a shelf) in my sister's PC, which would have allowed her to play certain games. She currently has a water-loop, so I decided on going water-cooling with the graphics card as well.

While installing the new cooler, I accidentaly chopped-off a capacitor on the back of the PCB, which was marked as "C525". Since the card doesn't work anymore, I think it was important, duh...

Currently, I'm not at home and therefore can't share the serial-number with you, but as soon as I get back I'll let you know.

Since I'm not that unfamiliar with repairing electronics, I wanted to ask if there are any chances for me to get the capacitance of this "C525" SMD-capacitor, so that I can order a new one myself? Can you inform me about the correct value?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon, thank you in advance!

Greetings from Austria
Pascal Bauer

0 Likes
2 Replies

Your best bet is to locate another HD series GPU card and canobalize the part to replace the damaged one.  That part is probably common in the HD GPU series, at least the HD 7xxx series GPU card.

Besides the GPU card is made by XFX so you need to go directly to them to get the information you need. AMD just provides the GPU Chips and XFX designs the GPU boards for those GPU chips. I imagine that type of info is restricted and not given out to Consumers (Schematics).

Also this isn't Official AMD Support but AMD Forums where Users try to help each other.

To open a ticket with AMD Support go here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Hey there,

I've just created a ticket and I'm waiting on an answer. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,

Pascal Bauer

0 Likes