cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zoombee
Journeyman III

My Radeon HD 7850 went black when using the proper driver

The screen went colored-noisy and crashed Windows. When rebooting, image is OK, but it turns black on the login screen (with signal but no cursor). After several tests cleaning dust and reconnecting monitors (there are 3 connected), and trying a new driver version... the only way I can put it to work is with the basic MS driver. But now there are strange faint patterns of stripes all over. I'm using it in 1080p right now... Since MS driver uses only the base memory, my guess is there's something wrong with the VRAM. During the installation of a new driver, just after the driver restart, the screen goes black (with signal) and seconds latter Windows freezes.

What do you guys think? Is there a diagnostic for the card that can use? Can it be the GPU? What other tests I can perform?

[Windows 8.1 Pro]

[AMD 7850 : Catalyst 15.7]

0 Likes
3 Replies

I don't see any R7 850 card listed. If you meant HD 7850 get the drivers here.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064

Try uninstalling the drivers from programs, then in safe mode run DDU driver cleaner. Then re install the drivers.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I tried to boot with Linux and, after some loading, it goes black, just like in Windows.
I think more and more that the problem is VRAM related :/
I like the DDU tip, tho Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
quintleo
Adept I

It sounds like you had a hardware failure on the card.

Could try running something like the Distributed.net client on it (doesn't use much VRAM at all) to try to isloate the issue - but if the card had part of it die, probably a waste of time.

0 Likes