cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vinders
Adept II

My PC turns itself off when playing games

I have 4k monitor with freesync 60 Hz. Today I turned on Radeon chill with lowest value 40fps and highest 60fps. Picture on games was perfect, without any tearing, but. When I started benchmark on Rise of the Tomb Raider on third bench scene Geothermal Valley my pc turns off. I was shocked I have new PC(month old), it works good except never-ending problems with Radeon software! If I turn on Radeon image sharpening, monitor stays black on pc wake up mode. After disable it monitor wake up normally. I repeated benchmark 3 times and pc shutting down on same test place. After I turned off Radeon chill, benchmark works without any problem... PC power usage from socket was 615 watts. I have Seasonic PSU 850W. When I gaming, power spikes to 650W and everything is fine.
I am very disappointed, I have powerfull card, but can use nothing from driver advanced settings...

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R | F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR | Seasonic B12 BC-850 | MSI RX 6900 XT GAMING X TRIO.
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Zolex
Adept III

I fixed my best friends pc this weekend, his problem was that is pc was shutting down.(when playing apex)
His problem was that his CPU was overheating 5800x. Wattman or Ryzen master was not able to read cpu temperature.(can you check if this is in your case) Tomb Raider is CPU demanding.  

This causes the CPU to overhead because there was no thermal protection anymore. CPU kept boosting until it shut itself down.
Disable PBO or turndown PBO settings did not help.
I updated the bios from the motherboard and everything was fixed. (MSI x570 tomahawk).

Also, Did you an upgrade from an old pc or is everything brand new? In my experience when you upgrade your PC. Always reinstall windows again! Especially from changing Nvidia to AMD can cause weird problems. (even if you use DDU).

View solution in original post

IMG_20220506_200829.jpgIMG_20220506_202714.jpgWell. New case and AIO cooling system resolve my problem. I have 78 degree max on gaming with case cover closed. No PC turning off anymore. Cooling system is very good, can adjust rpm in bios for pump and fans, pump connector is 3 pin so I selected DC smart mode. Thank You for attention! IMG_20220506_234310_resized.jpgdfgdgdfg.png

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 280R | F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR | Seasonic B12 BC-850 | MSI RX 6900 XT GAMING X TRIO.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Zolex
Adept III

I fixed my best friends pc this weekend, his problem was that is pc was shutting down.(when playing apex)
His problem was that his CPU was overheating 5800x. Wattman or Ryzen master was not able to read cpu temperature.(can you check if this is in your case) Tomb Raider is CPU demanding.  

This causes the CPU to overhead because there was no thermal protection anymore. CPU kept boosting until it shut itself down.
Disable PBO or turndown PBO settings did not help.
I updated the bios from the motherboard and everything was fixed. (MSI x570 tomahawk).

Also, Did you an upgrade from an old pc or is everything brand new? In my experience when you upgrade your PC. Always reinstall windows again! Especially from changing Nvidia to AMD can cause weird problems. (even if you use DDU).

Thank you for answer. Yes it is all brand new components, except case, cpu cooler(scythe mugen 5 rev.b specs) M2/SSD and Sound blaster Z. Did You think cpu is more stressed on game benchmarking than gaming? MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI has latest bios 7B93v1F. Also windows was reinstalled before I tested. My previos card was RTX2060. All drivers, chipset, raid, graphics installed without problems. PC works solid stable on gaming, Adobe premiere etc, except TOMB RAIDER benchmark...

I will check next benchmark cpu temperatures on aida64 and lcdsmartie.

Is that Tomb Raider demo, it's old/broken. Uninstall aida64, was known not to work well with rdna2.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Well. today I tested my pc all day. It turning off when I play Far Cry 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider ONLY if I enable Radeon chill and limit fps to my monitor frequency-60 fps(min 40 or 50 and max 59 or 60, the same thing).

If I limit my pc fps (enable Radeon chill) it take less power from socket, gpu is less stressed(about 40-50% loading) and pc turns off after 10-15 min of gaming. Temperatures on cpu max 89C. It turns off with power switch lightening and I can't switch it on. Only turned off/on switch on PSU help it starting up normally.

There is no logic. After I switch off Radeon chill and my GPU working at full load(99% and 120 fps), all day I play both games without any issues!

I have no other options as play all my games with tearing and high fps. Only one option I can use it is AMD freesync...

0 Likes

Have you tried sending a trouble report from within the adrenaline utility?

Thank You for suggestion. Done

0 Likes

Yes, it is overheating. If pc turns off unexpectedly on high load, but lights(mystic lights on motherboard are still lighting, power button light as if pc working), but pc is turned off and it is not turning on if I press PB, till I switch off/on psu, than problem is not psu but overheating. Cpu or GPU goes in protection mode and turns off pc. Opened case cover, temperatures goes down for 14 degrees...

Must search for new good case or change cpu cooling to liquid. I have not choose what to do, but... Thank You

Deemon69
Elite

Hello!

Seasonic 850 W, like all Seasonic, have a problem, they go into protection with a sharp increase in load, and the video card just changes the load dramatically. Try with a different power supply from a different manufacturer. If that doesn't fix the problem, try disabling Windows DEP.

0 Likes

Well today I received AIO MSI MAG Coreliquid 280R, still waiting for new case DeepCool CK500. Because when I opened case cover and use it no more have  pc shut downs. Still think it was overheating, although temperatures max showed 90 deg cpu... For now it is max 80 on Far cry 5 and 76 on power stress test OCCT.  

I will inform about problem is it RESOLVED, after make new pc installation.

0 Likes

IMG_20220506_200829.jpgIMG_20220506_202714.jpgWell. New case and AIO cooling system resolve my problem. I have 78 degree max on gaming with case cover closed. No PC turning off anymore. Cooling system is very good, can adjust rpm in bios for pump and fans, pump connector is 3 pin so I selected DC smart mode. Thank You for attention! IMG_20220506_234310_resized.jpgdfgdgdfg.png

0 Likes