- AMD RX 7900XT graphics card

- Asus Prime Z790-P Wi-Fi motherboard

- Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz, 32GB memory

-850W Flat power supply

- Water cooling in 360

- 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

- 28 inch 4k 144Hz screen

- intel processor 13600kf

Well, my problem with this pc is that when I start a demanding game, there will be a moment or another when my pc will restart on its own without warning. Depending on the game it will take more or less time before restarting (between 3min and 45min). For example the last games I experienced this on are : Sons of the forest and Baldur's gate III (cyberpunk and witcher III resmastered too)

On other less demanding games (example League of Legends) the game runs smoothly.

I can't find the solution to my problem despite a whole battery of tests, here's what I did:

- Verification of GPU, CPU, Memory temperatures: ok

- Socket test with voltmeter: ok

- Bios update: ok

- Download of the latest CPU, GPU and motherboard drivers: ok

- Disabling XMP which tended to reduce the stability time before restart: ok

- Switching from Windows 10 to W11 knowing that I had the problem on both windows

- Downloading OCCT to perform stress tests: ok

- I bought 3DMark on STEAM to perform a whole string of benchmarks and stress tests: ok. The temperature of the GPU and CPU did not exceed 65°C in the stress phase

- I went to the window that indicates the various events and failures and on the report we just see that the computer has restarted but without explanation. I also went to Startup and Recovery --> System failure --> I unchecked the "Automatically restart" box, hoping that it would allow me to see an error message. However, that didn't change anything, the computer restarted like the other times...

I'm out of ideas. 

I know that my problem is not necessarily related to the AMD graphics card but it is still the most requested element on this type of activity, which is why I am posting this request on the AMD community

If a charitable soul who knows about computers has a solution...?

Thank you, 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the update but I was more interested in the OCCT PSU Test the PSU Outputs 3.3/5.0/12.0 Vdc.

NOTE: Seems like you purchased a cheap PSU according to this previous Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/umlj71/will_i_grill_my_rig/

According to 2 PSU rating websites the Fox Spirit brand:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

The below is for First Tier (Best) PSU Listings from 2023:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 133552.png

Same link from above:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 133902.png

[1] Seasonic S12II Bronze and related units have or had UVP issues, source.

This is an older PSU Tier list updated in 2021: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-eol-psu-tier-list-rev-148/

Screenshot 2023-03-08 134625.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

What is the Make & Model of your PSU?

Did you run OCCT PSU Stress test?

What were the PSU Outputs and were they all within 5% tolerances?

It is possible the GPU card voltage spikes are overwhelming your PSU if you have a low quality PSU installed.

NOTE: normally when a PC shuts down by itself it could be:

1- Overheating issues

2- Overclocking issues

3- Power issues

4- Defective Hardware

5-Driver issue

I might have forgotten some other reasons but those above are the most common.

I would also run MEMTEST86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic test to check your RAM to make sure they are good.

Is your RAM listed in any QVL lists for your Motherboard and Processor?

0 Likes

Hello and thank you, 

My PSU is  FOX SPIRIT GT-850P V2 850W 80+P

Yes my RAM is listed.

I did a PSU stress test and nothing special appeared. 

PSU STRESS.pngimage_2023-03-08_163816858.pngelements GPU.png

Thanks for the update but I was more interested in the OCCT PSU Test the PSU Outputs 3.3/5.0/12.0 Vdc.

NOTE: Seems like you purchased a cheap PSU according to this previous Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/umlj71/will_i_grill_my_rig/

According to 2 PSU rating websites the Fox Spirit brand:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

The below is for First Tier (Best) PSU Listings from 2023:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 133552.png

Same link from above:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 133902.png

[1] Seasonic S12II Bronze and related units have or had UVP issues, source.

This is an older PSU Tier list updated in 2021: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-eol-psu-tier-list-rev-148/

Screenshot 2023-03-08 134625.png

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for your time. The PSU seems to be the problem

0 Likes

Run OCCT PSU Test again but this time check the output voltages during the test. It probably will check good but then again maybe not.

The 12.0 Vdc minimum output should be 11.4 Vdc and higher. Anything lower and the PSU is not outputting correct voltages as an example.

The only thing that could be causing your PC to shut down is that the PSU can't withstand the GPU Power spikes for a brief time.

Your PSU is listed as Platinum, the highest quality PSU ranking so it should be able to withstand those GPU Power spikes unless it is low quality PSU.

NOTE: My last reply was just letting you know where your PSU stands in PSU TIER LISTS.

The first link (2023) it was rated under the Best Tier level but under "Speculative" which I not sure what that means exactly except that maybe they are not sure if it should be in that Tier Level or not.

The second link (2021) mentions it is good as a Mid-Range PC Tier Level.

0 Likes

Hello Elstaci,

I solved my problem. 

Previously my PSU was connected to the graphics card only with one PCI-E cable. I used the two 8 pins heads of the same cable to connect the two components. 

I changed it by using two PCI-E cables and connecting only ONE 8 pin head for each cable.

Since then, no more shut down

Thank you for your help, best wishes