cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

roporos
Adept I

Re: My computer won't detect my AMD graphics card in device manager and when i download the driver it shows error 173

elstaci which one exactly the full amd package the amd-catalyst or the radeon software ? 

0 Likes
roporos
Adept I

Re: My computer won't detect my AMD graphics card in device manager and when i download the driver it shows error 173

hardcoregames™ it used to show up but for some reason now it disappeared

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Yes, download the full package to get the full benefits and features of Radeon Settings.

But first try installing the DELL AMD driver (2015) first and see if your AMD GPU appears and is recognized.

If it does appear and is RECOGNIZED and working normally then try installing the latest AMD Driver.

BUT if it isn't recognize and you are sure your laptop has a AMD GPU installed. Then I would run DELL's Diagnostics to see if there is any software or hardware problems in your laptop.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

roporos wrote:

hardcoregames™ it used to show up but for some reason now it disappeared

only way to rule out hardware failure is with a fresh install of windows

0 Likes
roporos
Adept I

so after trying all the methods it didn't get recongnized so i did a complete DELL Diagnostics and these are the results:

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_1.png

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

hard disks eventually do wear out, usually after 50,000 operating hours they tend to fail from age

SSD storage tends to last longer only because no moving parts

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Dell Diagnostic is saying your Hard drive (HDD) is going bad which is probably why you are having issues with your GPU card.

If your laptop is under Warranty then open a DELL SUPPORT WARRANTY Ticket and upload the Dell Diagnostic results to let them see your  HDD is going bad.

IF your laptop is not under Warranty then see how much a new HDD will cost from Dell to replace it. Most HDD can be easily replaced without having to tear apart the whole laptop.

If it isn't under Warranty then see if Windows can extend the failing HDD for a while longer by using this command in a Elevated Command Prompt:

chkdsk C: /f /r /x
0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

elstaci wrote:

Dell Diagnostic is saying your Hard drive (HDD) is going bad which is probably why you are having issues with your GPU card.

If your laptop is under Warranty then open a DELL SUPPORT WARRANTY Ticket and upload the Dell Diagnostic results to let them see your  HDD is going bad.

IF your laptop is not under Warranty then see how much a new HDD will cost from Dell to replace it. Most HDD can be easily replaced without having to tear apart the whole laptop.

If it isn't under Warranty then see if Windows can extend the failing HDD for a while longer by using this command in a Elevated Command Prompt:

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

The vintage of the machine tells me the warranty has long ago expired.

CHKDSK C: /R /X

/F is automatically implied with /R 

This is why I suggested a SATA SSD which can drop in and the machine will be better for it.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

As you mentioned the OP's laptop is an old laptop so it is a good chance a SSD would not be 100% compatible.

The OP best bet is to open a DELL SUPPORT Ticket and find out which HDD or even SSD will work in his specific laptop.

CHKDSK should verify if his HDD is bad or failing also.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

elstaci wrote:

As you mentioned the OP's laptop is an old laptop so it is a good chance a SSD would not be 100% compatible.

The OP best bet is to open a DELL SUPPORT Ticket and find out which HDD or even SSD will work in his specific laptop.

CHKDSK should verify if his HDD is bad or failing also.

SATA SSD drives in on Lenovo laptops work, so the OP's Dell should be fine. Disks are not generally subject to whitelists. I had to flash new ROMs on old Lenovo machines to install new WiFi cards that are more compliant with the standards. Intel is notorious for non compliant hardware.

0 Likes