cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

roporos
Adept I

My computer won't detect my AMD graphics card in device manager and when i download the driver it shows error 173

I tried many solution but nothing worked , my PC in win 10 x64 , AMD radeaon HD (tm) 8500m/8700m , Dell inspiron 3521 

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
24 Replies
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: My computer won't detect my AMD graphics card in device manager and when i download the driver it shows error 173

The HD 4000 is ivy bridge and it should be included with windows 10

I do not see any radeon card in your device manager

0 Likes
roporos
Adept I

Re: My computer won't detect my AMD graphics card in device manager and when i download the driver it shows error 173

yeah that the problem my pc won't detect it 

These are my pc desciptions:

15.6 "HD LED screen - 3rd generation Intel Core i3-3227U processor, 1.9 Ghz, 3 MB of cache memory - 4 GB of memory - 500 GB disk - AMD Radeon HD 8730M graphics card, 2 GB of dedicated memory - DVD burner cards - HDMI - USB 3.0 - Wifi - Bluetooth - Webcam with microphone

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

got a link to the machine product page?

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

I highly suggest that you first install DELL's AMD Driver from Dell Support for your laptop from here: Support for Inspiron 3521 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

It is very out-dated but this is just to see if DELL's AMD Driver will make your laptop recognize your 8xxxM series GPU card. DELL AMD Driver is 100% compatible with your laptop.

If your GPU card is recognized with DELL's driver than try installing AMD latest Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support 

I downloaded your Dell Inspiron 3521 Specs and it shows several AMD GPU cards for your model:

HD8850M

HD8730M

HD8670M

All three GPU card uses the same 2020 AMD Driver. I have attached it to this reply if you are interested.

Then use this basic method to remove and to install your AMD Driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The device manager tells me the specific model does not have a discrete GPU on the logic board

even a bad driver would still show in the device manager

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

according to Dell's Inspiron various models 3521, it shows it does come with an AMD discrete GPU chip or card but uses an Intel processor.

Also Dell Support download page for that model has AMD Driver from 2015.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

elstaci wrote:

according to Dell's Inspiron various models 3521, it shows it does come with an AMD discrete GPU chip or card but uses an Intel processor.

Also Dell Support download page for that model has AMD Driver from 2015.

the device manager says otherwise

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

The OP needs to input the exact Dell Inspiron Model.

He should run either SPECCY or CPU-Z or GPU-Z to determine exactly what hardware he has installed.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

elstaci wrote:

The OP needs to input the exact Dell Inspiron Model.

dell uses service tag numbers for everything

0 Likes