cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

absalon
Newcomer

My computer keeps on crashing (I think Wattman settings are the issue)

Hey. So a few days ago, my computer has started crashing (meaning it suddenly shuts down without warning and automatically reboots) like crazy whenever i launch a game. It especially does this when i try to run heavy games like watchdogs 2 or doom eternal. My head started spinning so I tried to diagnose the following things:

1. At first, people told me that the cpu or gpu overheating is the issue. And yes, my cpu reached 90c during gaming, but now i tweaked some settings in the power plan, and re-applied the thermal paste and now it doesnt go above 80c. It stays between 65c and 75c.

2. Then, the psu was the next thing. I did the paperclip test for it and it turned out ok, meaning it suggested that the psu didnt have any fault.

3. Finally, my graphics card came. I noticed my pc crashed alot after i got that "wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure". I researched this and apparantly these settings have caused alot of people the same problems as mine. Now, ive uninstalled any overclocking software except for msi afterburner. Ive also disabled fast startup, updated my graphics driver yet my problem hasnt gone away. The only thing left to do is probably update windows to 2004

If anyone knows any potential fixes to these, please help me! My budget pc is all I have. Ive resolved overheating issues, troubleshooted my cpu and psu. Ive stress tested both my cpu and gpu in which both turned out ok. Right now im trying to rollback my graphics driver from Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.8.1 to Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2

These are my computer specs:

Intel Xeon W3530

MSI RX 570 4GB

HP Z400 MOBO

10 GB DDR3 RAM

550W PSU

0 Likes
1 Reply
absalon
Newcomer

OK so I wanted to post an update just to help anyone who is also facing issue (it's literally 2:40 A.M). OK so indeed after rolling back my graphics driver to Adrenalin 20.4.2 my computer didn't crash, and thankfully I didn't get that abhorrent Wattman settings notification. Once I rolled back my driver, I shut down the computer to give it rest. The next day, my computer only crashed twice (more than likely due to overheating), and today I didn't face any crashes at all. So yeah, if you're having this issue, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO EITHER GRAPHICS DRIVER OR ROLLBACK TO PREVIOUS VERSION. HARDWARE ISN'T ALWAYS THE ISSUE! Thank you for your time and have a blessed day. 

0 Likes