Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

trafon31
Journeyman III

My 7900 XTX thermally throttles and performs at 50% as it should

Hi all,

Last week I sent my RX 7900 XTX reference card from Sapphire to the authorized service for a replace. Main reason was it was overheating to 110 degrees Celsius, would randomly crash while streaming. I did not know of the performance difference back then, because I only had dual 1080P monitors. And given that AMD said that this was a known issue, I thought that I would get a replacement pretty easily.

Today I received my card back from the service with a note saying "The sound, thermals and FPS values of the card is as expected", I said "oh OK it shouldn't be a problem then, it must be a driver bug and will be fixed".

When my card was at the service, I upgraded one of my displays to LG C2 OLED, which is 4K 120hz. I came back from the service with my card, plugged it in, fired up some games. I had a **bleep**ty performance, I thought "oh bummer, I thought that this card should handle 4K pretty easily", played a few titles.

Then decided to check out how other people's 7900 XTX were performing. I was shocked by the performance delta there is.

For Witcher 3 Next Gen, I checked out 6 different benchmarks without ray tracing, FSR and hairworks, all of them had above 105 FPS constantly, and would hit 120 FPS from time to time. I quickly changed my settings to match the benchmarks. I was shocked at my FPS values. I got a whopping 57 FPS at the start, and then it thermal throttled down to 49. And all the cards on the benchmarks were running at 50-65 degrees with hot spot temps at 80-85, meanwhile my card was running at 80 degrees with 110-degree hot spot.

I quickly checked other games and it was pretty much the same. No matter which game I would run, the card would hit 110 degrees in 5 minutes, then thermal throttle below 50% frames per second it should.

And my card was hitting 65-70 degrees while I was watching stuff at YouTube.

And the funny thing is, the service still insisted on that my card was fine, I recorded my tests to a video, sent my card back to the service and will email them my tests as soon as my card is delivered to them.

Let's hope that they replace it now. If they refuse, what else I can do?

0 Likes
9 Replies
trafon31
Journeyman III

Still waiting for a reply!

0 Likes
trafon31
Journeyman III

Still unsolved.

0 Likes
trafon31
Journeyman III

Still unsolved.

0 Likes
trafon31
Journeyman III

Looks like this is how you get treated by choosing "premium" AMD products. You get delivered a defective product, then their services and forums ignore you.

Such a shame that this is a multi-billion dollar company.

0 Likes
Francobér
Adept III

it does not necessarily have to be the card itself....
how are the temperatures at idle and how is the delta to the hotspot ? Then the question is which driver is installed, are the chipset drivers up to date.
I have a Saphire rx 7900 XTX MBA and everything is fine. Temperatures at idle 36 degrees and hotspot at 48 degrees. Endurance test under Furemark at 4k never ran into the temperature limit. Can only recommend first run DDU in safe mode and uninstall everything that has to do with AMD with it and then a fresh installation of chipset and graphics card driver 23.1.2 which you can download on videocardz.com if you should not find it.
I had the problem when I tried to update from 23.1.1 only that the idle power consumption doubled.
After the fresh reinstallation everything again wonderfully with 34-40 watts at idle with a 34 inch screen with 144 Hz.

AMD Ryzen 5600X, Asrock X570 Steel Legend, 32GB G Skill Trident Z Royal Gold, AMD Rx 7900XTX, Gygabyte G34WQC
0 Likes

Hotspot was 60 degrees at idle, but I've not seen this 60 degrees behaviour on my old 1080P setup, it was around 40 degrees, I think it is a bug with 4K, but it would hit 110 degrees on 1080P setup while gaming too (with RT ofc)

I was using 23.1.1 before sending it back to the service, don't know if there is any more recent driver update which solves this issue.

And I am against downloading drivers from unofficial sources.

0 Likes

I have also written that you get the driver 23.1.2 at videocardz if you should not find it
With me it has the last driver speak 23.1.2 pulled out. that runs much better than the 23.1.1
You can try it out and then check whether it is also better with you.
But here is the regular link to it :

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.1.2 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics and Forspoken™ Releas...

AMD Ryzen 5600X, Asrock X570 Steel Legend, 32GB G Skill Trident Z Royal Gold, AMD Rx 7900XTX, Gygabyte G34WQC
0 Likes
alanjt
Adept II

Run it out of the case for a few days

Or remove the front panel if it is too much of a problem to run it out of the case

Can you supply Photos of your Case with the GPU in it show as much as you can 

A photo like this will be nice to see

Screenshot 2021-06-14 235325.jpg

Lucky hard at workLucky hard at work

I have not  taken Picks of my Current Config yet I will take some more updated photos next time I do a Clean or Update

Can you also list your Hardware in a bit more detail

MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Spare - MSI MAG B550 Mortar Wifi
BIOS AMD AGESA-1.2.0.6c
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Spare - Radeon RX 5700 Reference
Spare - Radeon RX 6800 Sapphire Pulse.
In Use Radeon RX 6900XT OC ASUS TUF
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB F4-3200C16D-16GVK
1TB SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 7000-MBps
2TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 Game Drive 3300-MBps
Four 2TB SATA SSD and Two 4TB SATA SSD in Raid 0
ICY DOCK 6 Bay 2.5” SATA HDD/SSD Hot Swap Cage-MB326SP-B
Enermax D.F Series 850W PSU
Spare PSU MSI MPG A1000G
Spare- CPU cooler MSI MAG CORELIQUID P240
BeQuiet Silent Loop 2 280mm
Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2311
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Ryzen 5 7600X - MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI - BIOS AGESA 1.0.0.7a - Corsair Vengeance 16GBx4 : CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30 - ASUSTeK AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT - PSU MSI MPG A1000G - Storage - MSI SPATIUM M480 1TB x4
0 Likes

Hello, my card is currently at the service. I am expecting it to be returned/changed by them in a one or two days.

Since I don't have my card, this is the only photo where you can make out my case air flow and stuff.

My PCMy PC

My hardware in detail;

• ASUS Z690-P D4
  • Intel i5 13600K
  • 4X Gskill Ripjawsv 4000 MHz CLI 18 8 GB Ram (32 GB total)
  • Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Reference Card from Sapphire)
  • Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD (Boot drive & my games are loaded on this)
  • Western Digital WD20EZBX 2TB HDD 
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition V2 120 mm Intel(1700p) CPU Cooler
  • 2x 200mm Front Intake Fans
  • 1x 140mm back Outtake Fan

As you can see here, nothing to throttle my GPU to perform at 50%.

For some reason (we all know it is because not enough liquid in vapor chamber in the card) my junc temps hit 110 degrees and card cannot boost past 1800 MHZ.

0 Likes