cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

acamap
Adept I

My 580 sparked and released a chemical like smell?

I was playing a fps game nothing insane and suddenly my 580 sparks my computer turns off and a weird chemical like smell fills my room. What do I do? Do i turn it on? Can I still sell it as broken to see if someone wants to try to fix and resell it? If anyone wants to buy a (im assuming) broken 580 message me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I wouldn't put a short circuited high powered GPU Card back in your computer unless you want to replace your motherboard and possibly the PSU and other hardware in your computer.

You might want to check to see if your computer boots up with another GPU card installed BUT first physically check the PCIe slot where the shorted GPU card was installed. See if you see any burnt marks on it or damage. If you do then you would probably need to replace the motherboard also.

The card is useless except for cannibalizing electronic parts from it to fix other GPU cards by a technician unless it was the GPU fan that shorted out.

You can physically check the GPU card and see where it shorted out. But even if you don't see any damage I wouldn't put it back in your computer but have it checked at a local computer shop.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I wouldn't put a short circuited high powered GPU Card back in your computer unless you want to replace your motherboard and possibly the PSU and other hardware in your computer.

You might want to check to see if your computer boots up with another GPU card installed BUT first physically check the PCIe slot where the shorted GPU card was installed. See if you see any burnt marks on it or damage. If you do then you would probably need to replace the motherboard also.

The card is useless except for cannibalizing electronic parts from it to fix other GPU cards by a technician unless it was the GPU fan that shorted out.

You can physically check the GPU card and see where it shorted out. But even if you don't see any damage I wouldn't put it back in your computer but have it checked at a local computer shop.