Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cbjerg
Journeyman III

Multiple monitors not working on Huawei Matebook D

Hi 

I have 4 Huawei Matebooks (laptops). I'm trying to power multiple screens. Let me just write the specs

2x Huawei Matebook D14 (new model), Ryzen 5 3500u, Radeon Vega 8
2x Huawei Matebook D14 (older model), Ryzen 5 2500u, Radeon Vega 8. 

My problem is that the 2 older (I think they're from 2018) has no problem with powering multiple screens, while the 2 new models with Ryzen 5 3500u cannot power multiple screens. The only difference between the old and the new laptop is the 2500u and the 3500u, but I cannot wrap my head around why it should cause problems to have a Ryzen 5 3500u processor - that only sounds like an upgrade. 

My setup is that monitor 1 is connected through the HDMI port. Monitor 2 is connected through a USB-C dock. I've tested the setup with the older model, so I'm sure that the screen and dock are working fine - it's 100% a problem with the laptops. 

I have Radeon Adrenalin 2020 installed and updated. 

So what can the problem be? Is it a driver issue? Is it something in the BIOS? 

0 Likes
4 Replies
exitoso
Journeyman III

I have the exact same issue with my Huawei Matebook D 14. I can only use the HDMI port but cannot add a third monitor via a USB to VGA adaptor. I've even downloaded generic drivers for the USB to VGA adaptor but it doesn't work. It is as if USB ports on the Matebook cannot connect to display ports for some reason.  Does anybody have a solution?

0 Likes

Hi Exitoso

After multiple hours of testing with different software and browsing through the net, the hardware shop where I purchased the laptop got in touch with Huawei. They told me, that the laptop did not support multiple screens anymore. The graphics card can only support one screen and on the old version of the Huawei laptop there were a built in graphics card in the motherboard - but there isn't in the new version of the Huawei laptop. 

Thanks for the reply cbjerg

Although it is bad news you are giving me, it is good to know that I should stop trying to install different drivers to make it work. None have worked and obviously, it is because, as you said, my Matebook D does not have the appropriate built-in graphics card. Do you know if adding an external eGPU could work?

I am reading up on whether I can use an eGPU (external GPU) to get a third screen to work, but I can't seem to find any info on whether it will work on a Huawei Matebook D, and if so, which eGPU I should buy.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

0 Likes
Tnuvu
Adept I

Hello, as a owner of one of these, I can say it's not the AMD fault. The limitations come from Huawei who for whatever reason, in 2020 stil used USB C 2.0 which of course doens't have display port option on the port.

This means, you can use it for charging and transfers up to 480Mbit/s but nothing more.

I tried using a lot of dongles, and eventually asked someone at support with this issue and another one, specifically that the HDMI is 1.4 and cannot output 3K specifically 3440x1440 on a Huawei Mateview GT34....you read that right, their own product cannot do this.

Funny enough, it outputs 4K at 30 FPS apparently, yet cannot output this using 1.4 HDMI cables OR 2.0 HDMI cables.

Haven't tried those USB A type - HDMI splitters yet. You could always get a smart monitor/TV and cast for the 3rd monitor but it's not worth the hastle imo.

0 Likes