Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zsurfaraz
Adept I

Motherboard not recognising AMD RX580 issue

Hi All,

I've always been pro amd, but this time I decided to go Intel due to professional work reasonsand regretting it deeply.

My current system;

Intel Xeon e5-2680v4

Supermicro X10SRA-F

64gb ECC RAM

ASUS DUAL OC EDITION RX580 (Primary GPU)

NVIDIA GTX 1050ti (Spare GPU)

If I plug in the NVIDIA it works, however if I plug in the AMD graphic card the system is unable to detect it. Steps taken are below;

1. Upgrade BIOS to latest version
  2. Try different PCI-E SLOTs
  3. Make BIOS amendments (Supermicro TECH Support Recommendations)
    1. Turn to UEFI BOOT only and tried Legacy (had to reinstall windows 10) and DUAL Boot
    2. For the PCIE slot set it to x`16/x8 depending on slot
    3. Ensure Gen3 was selected for PCIE SLOT
    4. Set PCIE OPROM to EFI and LEGACY depending on BOOT
    5. Enable above 4G encoding

After which supermicro tech support sent email and basically turned around saying we done a lab and are happy to confirm NVIDIA works fine, which is pretty pointless. And trying to persuade me to go NVIDIA or just can't be bothered.

Does anyone have any suggestions, the fans on the gpu are continuously spinning at 100%. I'm being wishful thinking it could be DOA and have spoken to Amazon who have sent out another GPU for tomorrow for me to try. Or would upgrading to a rx5600-xt resolve the issue? I really don't wish to go NVIDIA.

Many thanks in advance

EDIT 1 - MY PSU is EVGA SUPERNOVA g1+ 1000watt

0 Likes
1 Solution

Right, problem is kind of solved. I am back to the original bios however it seems I can only run amd or nvidia. Not 2 graphic cards at the same time. The nvidia 1050 has a 6 pin power source and the rx580 has an 8 pin power source. Not fussed really and the nvidia is going back to my friend but great to know supermicro can do AMD. just don't try to mix, they did offer to lab and resolve the issue but wish for me to provide them the gpus to test with.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

That is pretty odd. If you can test that RX 580 in another computer I would do so. Also are you plugging the power cables into the top of the RX 580? You have to have them plugged in. I only mention this as if you were used to the 1050ti those don't use any additional power cable. That could explain the problem if you are not. So if you are, try that card in another PC just to make sure it posts. 

I can honestly say while I have heard of needing a bios update for a card to work I have never seen a situation where an Nvidia card will work and an AMD would not unless the card is underpowered or defective. 

0 Likes

I have ensured the 8pin power connector is connected to the RX580 with no luck. I currently have packaged it for Amazon driver tomorrow who will be doing a swap with a new product. Will keep you posted. Supermicro have just agreed on the phone for BIOS to be looked at, raising a new case right now. Fingers crossed its a supermicro issue, they have stated they might share a beta bios with me, not sure if thats safe.

Quick update, the motherboard provider supermicro have provided me with an older version bios that might resolve this. Will test and confirm this evening.

0 Likes

supermicro have provided me with a new bios, great news is rx580 is now working. But it seems according to supermicro they will give me a further bios due to 2 reasons. Firstly this bios will only allow amd gpus or nvidia gpu can't have both, not that I am too bothered. The main issue is they have broken NVME support so I am no longer able to boot into windows unless I repurpose my backup drive which I am reluctant too. Thanks for your patience on the update. Once I have a fully working Solution I will post it so if someone else runs into issues with Supermicro it may help.

Gotta say, one thing I have learned from your experience is don't buy a super micro MB. LOL!

I have never heard of such things. 

0 Likes

Right, problem is kind of solved. I am back to the original bios however it seems I can only run amd or nvidia. Not 2 graphic cards at the same time. The nvidia 1050 has a 6 pin power source and the rx580 has an 8 pin power source. Not fussed really and the nvidia is going back to my friend but great to know supermicro can do AMD. just don't try to mix, they did offer to lab and resolve the issue but wish for me to provide them the gpus to test with.

0 Likes