cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cybergamez
Journeyman III

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Issues (February 2020)

I've had this issue since I got a Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card from AMD a few weeks to a month ago, where my Monster Hunter World: Iceborne will crash the GPU with the err12 message or the HDMI connection to my TV will flat out lose connection and won't return any video (my HDMI cable is brand new for a 4k or lower TV), requiring me to perform a full reboot of the computer. Sometimes I can play for hours on the highest graphics and the crash will happen, or I could just be idle for three minutes in a map or base where it promptly crashes. Keep in mind that any other powerful game I play will be perfectly fine (for example, A Plague Tale Innocence), except for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.

I've looked up everything I can about how to fix it and I can't figure it out and it's incredibly frustrating to the point I want to return my card to AMD and never buy a graphics card from the company again. What adds to the wound is the supposed 'fix' to the Adrenalin driver towards Iceborne in the 20.1.1 version that doesn't feel fixed.

My Specs:

GPU - Radeon RX 5700 XT

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor

PSU - Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Driver - Adrenalin 20.2.1

I hope someone out there can help me with this issue before I pull my hair out of my scalp. I'm not entirely computer savvy so I have no clue if there is something I'm overlooking, if my card is just faulty and I should contact AMD for a replacement, or if the problem is beyond my control - where I will have to get some form of refund so I can buy a better card for my purposes.

I love the Monster Hunter series and want to be able to play it for extended amounts of time, and this issue is a gigantic roadblock to both my experience with the game and my liking of AMD.

Thank you to whoever provides any insight/advice/concern/help towards my situation.

7 Replies
bampi
Adept II

Same here. Random Err 12 and MHW crashes to desktop.

I've read somewhere that disabling Game Mode, Game Bar, and Captures in Windows 10 could fix some things. I've yet to it. Maybe tomorrow. 

I've tried everything but mhw is unstable on my 5700xt too.

The only fix for me is using DX11. I get horrible fps (90 fps --> 40 fps) but zero crash.

gigabyte 5700xt gaming oc

16gb ram

intel i5 8400

750w psu

win10 latest

adrenalin 20.4.2

Game Mode - On

Undervolt

Borderless Window

etc

Make sure you are all reporting the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Will do this, thanks.

1. I have no issues with three other games that I played using 5700XT.

2. Played MHW with my previous Nvidia 1070, no issues. 

My conclusion: Must be AMD drivers not optimised for MHW.

I presume you are playing this game through STEAM and it is updated to the latest version 15.30 (04/20/2020): MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: ICEBORNE[Steam] Update Ver. 13.50.00 Outline 

Also try playing with lower Graphical settings in the game and see if it crashes.  Do you have the game configured in AMD Radeon Settings -Game play?

This game site gives the best Graphic setting to play your game: https://www.noobs2pro.com/best-performance-and-graphics-settings-for-monster-hunter-world/ 

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

I'm having the same err12 crash issues with RX 5700 xt when using DX12 mode in Monster Hunter. Running in DX11 gets rid of the crashes but the game doesn't run as smooth. DX11 doesn't have stability issues but instead has lots of sub 60fps drops especially during the initial map load. This is with the latest July driver 20.7.2. I don't recall having this issue on when using the old November drivers 19.11.3.

Same here. Definitely a DX12 crash. I've tried other games, works fine.

From other forums, there are also err12 crashes with Nvidia.

So it's probably more of an issue with MHW lol. Not an optimised game.