cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nfp0
Journeyman III

Monitor disconnects and reconnects when it wakes up from sleep, causing crashes, rearranging windows

Hello,

I have been happily using an LG 27GL83A-B and an HP 24o in a dual-monitor setup with a GeForce RTX 2060 with no problems. Then I upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon RX 6800 (specifically an MSI Radeon RX 6800 GAMING X TRIO 16G) and that's when the problems started.

When I leave the PC idle or when I lock Windows, the screens go to sleep, as usual. Nothing special happens. But when I come back and the monitors wake up, the LG 27GL83A-B disconnects and reconnects immediately, causing all my windows to be rearranged and squished on a single monitor. I also tested this on Linux Manjaro and the same problem occurs.

The monitor is connected with DisplayPort.

I have tested:

• A clean Windows 10 install with latest Radeon driver install
  • A clean Linux Manjaro install
  • Changing my secondary screen
  • Tried using just the LG 27GL83A-B as single monitor
  • Motherboard BIOS update
  • Monitor driver install
  • Changing the color depth
  • Disabling Freesync
  • Disabling all power saving settings on the monitor
  • Changing the monitor DisplayPort mode from 1.4 to 1.2
  • Fiddling with multiple Windows registry configurations some people said might help

Nothing helped. From my research it seems it might be related with DisplayPort's Deep Sleep feature. Some monitors have the option to disable it, but mine doesn't. Another weird symptom I found is that the monitor wakes up exactly 120 seconds after going to sleep, showing a black screen, and then goes back to sleep again. This might be the moment when the monitor goes into Deep Sleep mode. The problem does not occur if I wake the monitor up before these 120 seconds pass. This is always consistent.

Another way to consistently reproduce this issue is to turn the monitor off on the button, where nothing special happens, as the monitor continues to be detected by Windows. But when you turn the monitor back ON, this disconnect/reconnect event happens and Windows detects this, rearranging the whole desktop again.

Aside from just rearranging the Windows, which is already a very bad issue, this causes other problems, such as crashes when using Virtual Machines and certain 3D software.

This same monitor was tested on a GeForce RTX 2060 and a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and this problem DOES NOT occur on those graphics cards, so this is a Radeon problem.

I hope AMD can help me with this issue, or I'll be forced to return the Radeon RX 6800.

2 Replies
Dunlock
Journeyman III

I am having the EXACT same problem. I am running a 11th gen Intel CPU and a RTX 3070. This is a windows problem, I see it goes all the way back to windows vista. Seems to be a problem with display port. I updated the firmware on my two monitors (Gigabyte M27Q) and the problem got worse. Hopefully this will get the right attention on this forum and solve and problem that has vexed many for over a decade now.

0 Likes

Not just Windows. This also affects Linux.

I believe it might be a problem on my monitor, as LG admitted there was a problem and they were developing a firmware update (that I won't believe will ever be released).

0 Likes