Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SteveDeer
Adept I

Modern Warfare 2 low fps and poor performace since latest update

Hi everyone and thanks in advance.

I have the problem that an application (Modern Warfare 2 for steam) does not utilize the gpu properly, which results in low Fps and lags overall.

My build: radeon 5700 XT , Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB of RAM, and M.2 ssd, PSU: Corsair - CX Series Modular CX550M 550W
RAM 2x Corsair - Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200 CL16
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 Aorus Ultra Mainboard (X570 AORUS ULTRA)

I dont have any trouble with other Games or applications

When the game runs i monitor with GPU_Z which looks like this

The gpu load goes wild from 0 to 90% and the bach to 2% in seconds, while the temp is low so no overheating.

I ran the game in the past with no problems and already tried the obvious like: driver update, new install, disabling background apps, changing settings ingame aswell as in radeon software, i rerolled my drivers with DDU, ect

I also run the latest driver 23.2.2 from today(24.2.23)

If anyone has any tips or has experienced similar things please let me know

kindest regards

Steve

13 Replies
vishvajit
Adept III

It sounds like you have already tried a lot of troubleshooting steps, but one thing you could try is adjusting the power settings in Radeon Software. Go to the Performance tab and select Tuning. From there, you can adjust the power limit and fan settings to optimize performance.

Another thing to check is the game's graphics settings. Make sure that the game is set to use your graphics card instead of integrated graphics, and try adjusting the settings to see if it improves performance.

If these steps don't help, it could be an issue with the game itself or a compatibility issue with your system. You could try contacting the game's support team or posting in forums to see if others have experienced similar issues with that specific game on similar hardware.

CaZpeR
Adept I

Same issues with my MBA 7900 XTX. Reverted back to 22.12.2 fixed the performance issues.

Interestingly enough I noticed on 23.2.2 that AMD overlay reported 2x FPS counting than MW2 own counter and that the GPU was utilized very poorly.

eshew
Adept I

Not sure if you've played around with Render Worker Count in the game config but you may want to see if that is the hang up.

Also make sure you have your RAM set to XMP/DOCP. 

Your power supply is a little underpower for your system but if this is the only game that has issues, probably not the cause.

ChaosADPL
Adept I

I've got same problem and almost same hardware.
I have Ryzen 2700x, GPU MSI RX 5700 XT OC 8GB, GoodRam 32 GB DDR4 2400 MHz , Motherboard Gigabyte X470. SSD and m2.

Before the problem occurred my FPS was like 120 at best, 80 for worst.
Now no matter what i will set in settings FPS are capped at 30. 
It's not, a driver problem.
I checked all driver versions from standard instaled by windows10 19.x.x till newest 23.2.2
GPU don't get 100 % of power, clocks go at maximum to 1250 MHz!

CaZpeR
Adept I

Try to run a full DDU and then reinstall drivers. Did this with my system now and now it doesnt stutter anymore.

Please try the suggestion offered by CaZpeR, and let me know if the issue continues. 

0 Likes

I tried using DDU and did a complete clean deinstallation/reinstallation and it did not help

the interesting thing is that the problem only occurs in the multiplayer "Launcher", in Modern warfare 2 if you change to single player it restarts the game in a new application. So the problem is most likley caused by a faulty update on Activisions side and not driver related

compaholic
Adept II

I thought it was just me but I've had SO many problems with AMD Adrenaline on my 7900XTX I'm at my wits end.  I also ran into this issue with very poor MW2/Warzone 2 performance. The past 2 nights Warzone 2 Resurgence would dip as low as 30-40 FPS during matches then shoot back up into the 140s(still kind of low) at 1440P.  My other problem is AMD Adrenalin is very finicky lately. Half the time it doesn't want to open for me even though it's in the systray.  After updating to the latest driver version(Adrenalin would not open at all) I downgraded back to 23.2.1 and Adrenalin now opens at least half the time now.  I ran DDU and installed 23.2.2 already which did nothing. Downgraded to 23.2.1 and now its sort of usable but still low performance.  I've never had this many problems before with video card drivers.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2
AMD 5950X
XFX Merc 310 7900XTX
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
32GB 3600Mhz CL14 (XMP on)

Do you have AMD Radeon Anti-Lag enabled? Found this to be the problem with my system. Disabled Anti-Lag and the problems was not present anymore. 

0 Likes
SteveDeer
Adept I

Update 05.3.23;

error still persists 

and i noticed that if i check integrity of game files (on steam) it always says 38 files falied ti verify, then they are downloaded and ingame the shader opt. starts new. if i check for integrity again same thing happens

(i also reinstalled the whole game)

ChaosADPL
Adept I

In my case problem solved itself after 2 weeks. In my opinion it's something with net.framework because after last update MW2 works normally!

SteveDeer
Adept I

Update: found a fix. i was looking trough reddit discussions about similar topics and found something:

with CPU_Z you can stress your CPU. set that to half your cores and activate while playing. my game does not stutter anymore. it even works when you turn it on while ingame so no restart required. 

Original Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ModernWarfareII/comments/yfxfuh/comment/iu6e6ri/?utm_source=share&utm_mediu... 

The problem was not with CPU but with GPU!

0 Likes