cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SilencedNine
Journeyman III

Mixing 5700G processor graphics with older Firepro units

Looking for guidance with graphics. I just built a new machine using the 5700G processor. I have 6 monitors and I was hoping to use the 2 outputs from the motherboard to drive 2 of the monitors. I also have 2 older firepro units with 2 outputs each to drive the other 4. A V4900 and V5800. I believe these are both about 10 years old. Considering the state of GPU prices today I was hoping to patch this together like this. On the surface, it  seems as though this will not all work together. Like there can only be one graphics driver in the system and since it's all AMD the graphics driver for the new won't work for the old and vice-versa. I can run either the 2 off the motherboard or the 4 off the cards, but if I do both at the same time I start getting messages about incompatibilities and that I am using the wrong drivers. 

If that is the case, what is the best method to get something that works? If I get a more modern graphics card with 4 outputs, can I drive all 6?

Or do I need to just get a 6 output graphics card and use it without integrated graphics? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
fsadough

• What are the make and model of your monitors?
  • What kind of inputs do you have on your monitors?
  • At what resolutions / refresh rates / color depths are you planning to drive the 6x monitors?
  • What is the make and model of your motherboard?
  • What is your OS?

As elstaci mentioned, you have 3x display outputs on your V4900 and V5800 GPUs. Very old GPUs, PCIE 2.0 and hard to get proper driver depending on your OS. MST hubs won't work on those GPUs. Hybrid GPU (combining onboard APU and discrete GPU) is also not supported with those old GPUs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is best answered by AMD Moderator of Professional GPU Cards @fsadough 

From what I have read the V5800 can support up to 3 displays.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 065951.png

The ATI Firepro V4900 also support 3 displays:

AMD FirePro™ V4900 3 480 1 GB GDDR5 T1650, T3600,
T5600, T7600 75w 2 DisplayPort™,
1 DVI-I 2560x1600

I don't know if these cards have DP 1.2 ports or not. But if they do they might support MST Hubs where you can connect 2 Displays to a single DP Port.

So you have 2 Displays on one DP Port and 1 Display on the second DP port on both cards. That will give you a total of 6 Displays for both cards with a maximum 3 displays per card.

If they don't support MST then you can try and add a active DVI-D to DP Adapter to connect 3 DP monitors to each GPU card.

That is if each GPU card has 2 DP Ports and 1 DVI-D port.

But FSADOUGH can answer your question best. Probably next week.

fsadough

• What are the make and model of your monitors?
  • What kind of inputs do you have on your monitors?
  • At what resolutions / refresh rates / color depths are you planning to drive the 6x monitors?
  • What is the make and model of your motherboard?
  • What is your OS?

As elstaci mentioned, you have 3x display outputs on your V4900 and V5800 GPUs. Very old GPUs, PCIE 2.0 and hard to get proper driver depending on your OS. MST hubs won't work on those GPUs. Hybrid GPU (combining onboard APU and discrete GPU) is also not supported with those old GPUs.

I bit the bullet and bought a used GTX 1070

It is driving 4 monitors while the IG takes care of the other 2. 

However, as I am curious;

(2) HP LP2065 20" @ 1600x1200, 60hz

(4) Acer V246HL 24" @ 1920x1080, 60hz

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO WIFI II motherboard

Win10

My feel is that the newer radeon software needed for the APU was in conflict with the older radeon software needed for the firepro cards. Might have worked if I was mixing AMD/NVIDIA perhaps? Or perhaps just as simply as you stated, not being able to use MST or hybrid configurations with that old of cards. Not sure. 

0 Likes