cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

typhlosion
Newcomer

Missing switchable graphics option

Recently I bought an Asus TUF Gaming FX505DY, so I installed the last dedicated graphic drivers (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1) but when I go to the AMD Radeon Settings I don't see any option to switch between the Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and the Radeon RX 560X to play my games, they just start with the Vega 8 as default

RUNTVYU.png

I tried changing the Change Plan Settings to High Performance

D7qMnWK.png

And the Advanced Power Settings > Switchable Graphics > Global Settings to Maximize Performance

z19I6d1.png

But any of this doesn't seem to work

How can I get the Laptop Switchable Graphics option or set my Radeon RX 560X gpu for my games?

0 Likes
9 Replies

Thanks kingfish, wasn't aware of that.

Deleted my answer since it didn't apply in this case.

The 'switchable' function has been removed from the graphics drivers for Win10 starting with the new 'Adrenalin 2020'. The option is now located under  'Display' of your computer...."Graphics'.

But i cant change the Graphics thru the Display of my computer it give an option to only choose power savings or High performance but both the graphics are the same for both

manodeep_s
Adept II

Hi,

I am writing from my own PCs experience. My own PCs config is as under - 

System: HP 15 ba017ax laptop

Processor (APU): AMD A8-7410 with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 Ghz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (14.9 GB usable)

Primary / Integrated Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics

Primary / Integrated Graphics Chipset Memory Size: 1024 MB

Discrete / Switchable Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M330 (It is actually M430 - correctly identified by HP OEM drivers, but with AMD drivers it is identified as M330)

Discrete / Switchable Graphics Chipset Memory Size: 2048 MB (incorrectly identified as 1024 MB in Windows 10 task manager - performance tab)

I had seen all these messages wherein people find it impossible to make their discrete graphics chipset to work in Windows 10 with AMD Adrenalin 2020 drivers. Applications always tend to work with Primary / Integrated GPU, including measures like - Graphics settings in Win 10 settings etc.

Even I faced the same issue, wherein my games never used the discrete graphics and always forced my PC to work with the Primary / Integrated GPU causing serious slowdown of my PC. Graphics settings in my OS showed same GPU name in both power saving and High performance and selecting high performance there had no effects. Finally, I found a solution to my issues, which I am sharing with all - 

It is the Primary / Integrated GPU which is connected to display through hardware connection. The discrete graphics chip is not built as a separate hardware unit in my motherboard to be detected in the graphics settings of Win 10 under high performance tab. It is like a co-processor (a subset of the primary GPU) which need to be made visible to OS for usage through separate software, which is graphics driver. Once made visible to OS, it shares the hardware connection of the Primary / Integrated GPU to display for its performance. Now which driver to use.

I found AMD Radeon software version 19.11.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-1  to be the latest one to provide switchable graphics tab, allow the High Performance GPU (Discrete / Switchable GPU) to be assigned to individual applications run on the system and the same is captured in the performance tab of Win 10 task manager while such applications are running. Also for the applications, I had assigned the Discrete / Switchable GPU (high performance GPU) in AMD radeon settings, I had also set them to high performance in Win 10 graphics settings to avoid any conflict from OS, though in there both GPUs are shown as same.

Any version after 19.11.1 gets into the ambit of Adrenalin 2020 wherein such switchable graphics options are unavailable. Adrenalin 2020 assumes that the graphics settings of Win10 will do this task of switchable graphics, but it seems Win 10 does not identify the co-processor model of discrete / switchable graphics.

Thus, it would be wise to stay at this level of graphics drivers till the time switchable options are restored in future adrenalin versions of radeon settings. Do let me know, if such measures helped you or not.

Thanks.

BRO BRO YOU ACTUALLY SOLVED MY PROBLEM, i was having bsods for MONTHS and i tried so many things and nothing solved my problem and something so simple actually made a difference, i hate windows for that it's not the first time that something like that happened to me, thank you so much, I'm still having bsods but i guess i can solve from here you are a saint.

0 Likes
manodeep_s
Adept II

One correction to my last post. The last Radeon version of Adrenalin 2019 is 19.12.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-12-1 

From 19.12.2 it enters into the foray of Adrenalin 2020. 

If anyone wants, may upgrade last to 19.12.1 to retain switchable graphics options and get latest performance upgrade simultaneously.

I did it myself on my system and it worked.

Thanks

Thank you for all the research you made, this is the definitive solution.

I have a HP Pavilion laptop for like 2 years and this is the first time I use the dGPU. 

0 Likes

hey, I have an RX 5600m and have the exact same problem as him and I'm on the most current Radeon software. Would it be okay for me to downgrade to the think you put?

0 Likes
jozobubnjar
Journeyman III

@typhlosion wrote:

Recently I bought an Asus TUF Gaming FX505DY, so I installed the last dedicated graphic drivers (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1) but when I go to the AMD Radeon Settings I don't see any option to switch between the Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and the Radeon RX 560X to play my games, they just start with the Vega 8 as default

it's very simple and easy... i had only one crucial request when i buying the last one, and prev one, laptop - it MUST NOT HAVE RADEON graphic card, only NVIDIA. 4 amd is better than not playing with gpu and stay there where are they best - cpu.

0 Likes