cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

galack
Journeyman III

Minecraft is not using my AMD Graphics card instead using my Integrated graphics card

Hello everyone. 

I've noticed that I've been getting terrible performance on Minecraft and have narrowed it down to the fact that Minecraft is not able to switch from the Integrated graphics card to usisng my AMD Radeon Graphics card. I will leave my specs and software versions at the bottom of the page if you want to skip to that.

I've tried many other 'solutions' in other threads on multiple forums but unfortunately they all lie with the same problem that they're either too old to be compatible with the current version of Radeon Settings or don't actually answer the issue. (upgrading my drivers or disabling integrated graphics. I have updated my drivers and I'm not going to disable my integrated graphics because they're used for other software that are always open.) 

Do notice that the Minecraft launcher is different from the actual minecraft game. The Minecraft launcher has been detected by the graphics card and I believe it's powering it but the actual game is powered by the integrated graphics card. The Minecraft game is a java environment which when I added it to the Radeon Settings showed me that it was another game called Jedi Academy or something along those lines. Even when Minecraft is running, the graphics card it uses is still the integrated one after adding the Javaw.exe environment to the Radeon settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes of their own? Thanks in advance. 

- Note that I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop. 

Specs:
 Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon R7 M440

CPU Type
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

System Memory
16 GB

Radeon Software Version

Radeon Software Edition
Adrenalin 2019

1 Solution
wzqforregister
Journeyman III

Exactly the same issue. Previously I could enter radeon additional settings and force java run with AMD card, but now with the new driver this feature no longer exist.

Edit: I fixed the problem. Try to find your java.exe and set it to high performance mode. See here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017#SGApplication

View solution in original post

16 Replies