cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

krdzine
Journeyman III

macOS, AMD Graphics Card and Photoshop Crashing Issues.

Since Adobe has not been very helpful I am trying to troubleshoot an issue that is impacting quite a bunch of Photoshop users.

Adobe claims the only fix is to upgrade macOS to Big Sur. Well, they also suggest opening PS, turning off OpenCL and that should fix the problem. BUT... the problem is you can NOT open PS without crashing after their last update to 22.4.x. Tough to change a setting you can not access.

On another/older iMac (2013) running Catalina, the latest PS runs fine. No issues. It is running a different graphics card though. It is running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M while the newer machine (2020) is running AMD Radeon Pro 5300.

It is also worth noting that the 2020 iMac running Catalina can run an older version of PS perfectly fine... so the bug/incompatibility was introduced AFTER version 21.2.8.

I noticed the CrashModule file references "com.apple.AMDRadeonX6000GLDriver" so I am wondering...

1. is that the correct driver for the graphics card?

2. is PS trying to access the wrong driver?

3. does macOS not have the correct driver loaded in Catalina?

4. "com.apple.AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver" exists on system... is that the correct driver for the card?

Again, Adobe says the answer is to upgrade to Big Sur, which seems strange. I expect THAT answer to come from Apple and would have expected Adobe to test and confirm that their update works on the most widely used version of macOS FIRST.

0 Likes
0 Replies