cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pokester
MVP

Re: Low performance RX Vega64 In Horizon Zero Dawn

There is no way that AMD AIB RDNA2 boards will be available before January. Very likely a bit longer than that. By the time AMD has them out. Nvidia will have Ti versions ready if no already out and honestly be ready to do a Super refresh if needed likely with 90 days of any AMD product availability. 

colesdav
MVP

I will not be surprised if they simply announce a new RX6700XT RDNA2 GPU which is an exact cutout of the XBOX Series X GPU in a discrete dual fan GPU shroud for PC, and do a "Big Navi" presentation w/o actually launching anything just yet.

We might even see a repeat of the Polaris RX480 launch again.

Remember this?

pastedImage_1.png

pokester
MVP

I think that is a more than fair point. There isn't a lot of proof of development of an larger CU product just the ones for the consoles. 

Not saying it can't exist, but either AMD has kept a better secret than EVER before, or we don't know about it because it doesn't exist. 

I find it very hard to believe that not a single employee of an AIB partner hasn't let some kind of info go if that is the case. 

Plus honestly even if they do I am expecting it to be another Toaster and still with poor drivers. 

Although it will be interesting to see RTX 3000's thermals too. Not really worried too much about the 3070 but above that could be toasters too. 

That is one thing I don't want under my desk again, a GPU that makes my legs sweat. The RX 580 would make my office unbearably hot in less than an hour. 

0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

Wow I could not remember this as I did not have the money for PC back then but when this will repeat this would be huge and would make me scratch my head. It would be a rather tough choice for me because I would worry about drivers at AMD but at the same time I could get a terribly good performance per Dollar deal.

0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

There is no better feeling when your north facing room on a windy or rainy day gets heated up by your VGA. Our boiler is turned off so early in the season but the evenings and nights are cooler. But no problem because the GPU does the job at the same time provides the enjoyment of gaming or content creating in a cosy enviroment! A mug of hot chocolate or black tea and enjoy even more...

pokester
MVP

I will be honest there were a few weeks in the winter when it got really cold and my desk is on the outside corner of the front of the house that the wall does radiate cold. So yah for about 6 weeks the heat wasn't so bad. 

It was so hot though in the summer I didn't want to play games in there.

0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

OK so quick update: the performance issues seem to have been resolved by and large. The new 20.8.3 driver with the latest 1.04 patch seemed to have improved performance on Vega 56. I am not saying it could not be better but the driver is just fine now, I think the card is now matches  the GTX 1070 when it comes to performance.I am looking forward to RDNA 2!

Horizon Zero Dawn Vega 56.jpg